My aunt is sending me $500 because we were talking and I mentioned I have been having car trouble. She specifically and adamantly told me to have my car repaired, but???

I appreciate her helping out since I have been out of work for 4 months, but my rent is late too. Would it be wrong of me to pay my rent with the money she is giving me, and get my car repaired later when I get my unemployment funds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do you not have the funds to pay your rent either? Rent is more important than fixing a car at this point, the car can wait rent cant./
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Yeah I think it would be wrong- unless there's a chance that you can get the car fixed (maybe for $100 or $200) and then use the rest to put towards rent.

Or maybe you can call your aunt and ask her? I don't know, that's a tough situation. But when they specifically say how to spend the money I think it's best if you follow that.
    Sorry to hear about all the trouble :(
    ~E
    Anonymous

• Well if she said "use this to fix your car" then you really should use her money on your car. I can see your point though - about rent being more important and paying that off first.
    Anonymous

• Yes, the rent and all my bills are late at this point. The car trouble is just icing on the cake. Thank you for your concern.
    Anonymous

• Since your Aunt is giving you the money and said she wants it used on the car, I think you should call her and talk to her before spending it on rent. I would let her know that it was nice of her to send money but you have other things more pressing due- like rent- and would like to use the money toward that. Let her know that when unemployment money arrives you plan to use some of that to pay toward the car.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Tlak it ove rwith her, you are lucky to have her giving you this kind of money.
    Anonymous

• How Lucky are you to have a aunt that cares and helps! I'm happy for you on that! I hope you can take care of both! But you want to keep her trust. So be honest! My car broke down far from our home! Last month! DH has been jobless since January. Oh to have someone to care or help. But we have no one! I wish I had an aunt or anyone. So I just wouldn't want to have her lose her trust in me if I were you. I do hope you get back on your feet and everything taken care of! Best of luck to you!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 6:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• She is thinking NO CAR no chance of finding a new job or in an emergency to get some where. Everyone's right ask her
    Anonymous

• Don't ask her. She gave you the money to pay for the CAR. Pay for the car.
    The thing is that if she hadn't given you the money to pay for your car you still wouldn't have rent money. What happens in three weeks when your rent is due again and you still have no car? Get it fixed so you can get to your job (or get a job Idk your circumstances) and take your children to appointments and the ER if something goes wrong. She gave you the money and told you to fix your car it would be very disrespectful to use it for something else. She didn't have to do anything for you. If i gave someone money for a car to be fixed and they spent it on something else I would never give them money again. Thats most people. I'm sorry for your situation. I hope things get better.
    Anonymous

• Do as she requests. If you can't pay the rent you may be living in you car---and when you live in your car you gotta be able to move it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2009