Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does any one know of any programs for a single mother of two me andm y husband are getting a divorce and i dont know what to do

me and my husband are getting a divorce and i don't know what to do or how I'm going to do it alone i don't work and don't have a high school education

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • Go to your community college and get your GED first off, find a job, go for child support & apply for assistance with daycare.

    Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

  • Do you have any family at all? I was divorced and single mom with one baby and got help from social services and public assisstance until I got on my feet and job and apt. Call local public assistance office.

    Answer by writeon at 3:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

  • Oh no, I'm so sorry. You need to find out what kind of help there is for you where you live or where you want to live. You can apply for Section 8 apartments, rent is based on your income. There is usually a waiting list. The apartment complexes can be bad or they can be very good.

    First thing you need to do is file for divorce, custody, and child support. Depending on your state your husband may be ordered to pay you money now until the divorce hearing date for support and living expenses. You may need a lawyer. You may be able to file for your husband to pay for your lawyer since you don't work.

    If you have been abused you may be able to go to a womans' shelter. Be careful, when you are in the process of getting divorced abuse may get worse.

    There may be free GED classes where you live. You need to get your GED.

    Answer by Gailll at 3:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

  • Dept. of Social Services, let them know you want to apply for anything they offer, and ask about other assistance in your area, they normally have that information. Def. get at least a PT job and try getting your GED soon.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

  • been there.. my local church had a great divorcee support group plus if you have kids join your local mops group.(mother of preschoolers) or go to and find something for yall to do.. and some places will have a daycare for moms who have kids and need to take their g.e.d. or get a job at a daycare ..they usually have a discount if you work should beable to get foodstamps to.. i had them when we first just have to have him sign saying if there is alimony or child support

    Answer by swaney06 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

  • I agree with previous posters about social services.They should be able to help you go back to school,get a job,plus get food stamps,medical etc while you are getting on your feet.Just know nothing is impossible,the first steps are usually the hardest.Good luck momma!

    Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

  • Definitely go to a community college and start with your GED, then start taking college classes. Even if you only take one class at a time, you are moving towards having a career. I would start with marketable skills-based classes, like Microsoft Office certifications (Excel, Word, and Powerpoint, at the minimum) and bookkeeping.

    Good luck!!

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.