For those working mommies--do you like working, or do you wish you could stay home?? What is your greatest challenge/benefit from working?

I just started working as a cashier last week after staying home since my son was born 10 months ago. It is challenging in that I am very tired all the time, I have to pay through the nose for daycare cuz I don't qualify for state assistance, and I miss my baby. Also the house is always a mess and I have a mound of laundry to do on my day off. I wish I could stay home but even with me working we are struggling to pay the bills. On the plus side though, I get some adult conversation, I get some quiet time away from the baby to make me miss him more, and I get a paycheck. How old are your children? How long have you been working? What is your greatest challenge? Would you stay home if you could??

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went back to work after two weeks.. We needed the money as well I am twenty four and my husband had an accident and got on disability while I was pregnant ( he is 27)
    I miss my daughter all the time. She is going to be two tomarrow, my son is seven. I had to though to so I know it is tough. My husband does the stay at home dad thing, ( he is a horrible house keeper though so I completly understand that as well though. I also in the last year have gone back to school full time as well so full time student/ full time work, and full time mom it is very hard, but you have to do what you have to do.. I set personall family time aside ex Every Thursday is fort night, and a movie. all of us make our living room into a fort eat popcorn and watch movies we camp in our living room then on the weekend we do a family day as well It makes me apprieciate the time I do have with my family I hope this helps good luck and congrats on the ne
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I have been working full time for over 12 years now (I'm 29). I have 3 children - 11, 8, and 2 1/2. My husband also works full time. I would not stay home if I could. I have a great job that challenges me daily, and I *personally* feel that my brain would rot away if I stayed at home! I would get soooo bored. Seriously. My greatest challenge working? LOL - trying to get a raise!
    Seriously, though - I get so much out of working. I work hard, and provide something of use to many, many people. I contribute fully to my household - paying utility bills, daycare bills, and groceries. (Hubby does the rest). I'm proud each month that our bills are paid, and we have the necessities without having to skip paying anything. We don't have to struggle. That's most important to me.
    As far as a messy house? You just have to get organized! Once everything is organized, it will take you no time at all to get it clean everyday!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I have one child. She's 2 1/2. I went back to work after 6 weeks (2 weeks part time). I love my job. I enjoy going to work and getting out of the house. I have a great day care and they take great care of my daughter (much better than my step mom would!). I would not want to stay home. I need the social interaction and just like working. THe hardest part is finding time to deal with a sick child. Sometimes, I just don't have the time to take off. Luckily hubby's job is very flexiable and my dad and step mom are retired so they help out as needed.
    Anonymous

• Would I stay home? No, but it would be nice to work less. I think working part time would be nice... but I enjoy my job and also need that change of pace in my day. I make more than my husband, so there isn't really an option not to work.

My house is for sure a mess... I don't feel like I have the energy to work and clean everything... besides my 15 month takes everything out as soon as I put it away. I spend most of my day picking up after him.
    On my days off is when I get most of my work done... like laundry and cooking nice meals and running errands.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter is 12 mths I went back to work when she was 6 weeks and 3 days old I do wish I could stay at home with her I work full time and my husband works full time as well my husbands grandparents keeps bailey 3 days a week cause im off thur and fri and my husbands off sat and sun I hate working cause I fill like Im missing everything but I have to work so we can give my daughter everything that we didnt have as a child we r trying to buy a house and everything. I know how u feel. I miss my daughter every min im away from here I think about her every day.
    Anonymous

• i have no choice but to work. I am a single mother who is struggling. i had to move out of state to just be closer to my parents in order to raise my child. I hope one day to have a better paying job and be able not to struggle. would i stay home. oh definanately. i would love to have a job from home. I like my job but its the hours that are hurting me. One day things will be different with everything.
    Anonymous

• I work from my house. (No...don't worry, I'm not selling a business). I earn enough to pay our bills and have a little extra (not a ton of extra...but I'm in school and growing my business...so I'm not bragging either!) Sometimes I wish I had more grown ups to talk to, but I don't think I'd trade my situation for either alternative. Getting work done with a toddler under foot can be a challenge some days, but it's good that if she needs that extra hug or attention, I can take a break to give it to her. I will admit though, that when I start working more for marketing agencies and larger companies...I look forward to getting to go to the occasional meeting or lunch! I long for suits and shaking hands and adult conversation. I miss having more time for myself...but all in all, it's good to have a paycheck. Especially since DH was laid off. :-(
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I did get the chance to stay home, but didn't like it at all, and my son liked it even less. He was in kindergarten at the time and missed his friends from child care after school!

I've been working all my adult life, so...nearly 24 years now! I work in broadcasting, so it's a job that does challenge me every day.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I got laid off after my maternity leave when I had my first (he's 2 now). I was ecstatic to get the opportunity to stay home with him; being a SAHM was something I'd always wanted. I knew I would have to get another job because we needed my income, but I was able to find a part-time third-shift job that allowed me to still be home with my son. I wanted to ditch the job and just stay home. I loved having that time with him.

When I was pregnant with my second (6 months now), I got a different job. Still part-time, but during the day. It was an adjustment, but it's something I love doing. I still have the same job, but full-time now, and I still love it just as much. That's what makes the difference for me. As long as it's something I enjoy doing, I don't mind working, and I look forward to the time I have with my kids that much more. But it's hard to just suffer through; I would never want that again.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter likes a dry butt and food in her belly. So yes, to make it I have to work. It sucks really bad not to be at home with my daughter but I have to work, plus, benifits are on my check for all 3 of us.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2009