Who taught you how to be a good mother.

Did your parents teach you how to clean house and keep it tidy. What did you parents do to prepare you for the real world or did you learn on your own. and what do you do to keep your house clean and in what areas can you improve on.

shorty00207450

Asked by shorty00207450 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think these are skills that can be taught. You learn by trial and error. You can receive advice on how to do things but do need the make them work for your situation.
    Anonymous

• My mom and aunts, plus I learned alot from analyzing those around me.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• me and my brother had to do dishes and laundry at the age of 13 so i knew all that..i was taught how to cook. so that part of being a parent i was kinda used to..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Ive learned a lot from my mom AND supernanny lol. Ive also learned from both my mistakes and other ppls
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Being a good mother has nothing to do with keeping your hous clean.

I knew I didn't know how to be a good mother so I read books and took college courses. I went to La Leche League meetings to get to know other moms and watch how they mothered. This was the 1980's. I went to La Leche conferences and heard people speak like Dr. Sears when attachment parenting was a new concept.

One LLL Leader had the most impact on my mothering. She had been a teen mom and had her first child at 15. Her parents helped her and she finshed high school, got married and had several more children. She was such a relaxaed, natural, good mother. I had to try so hard. I would go to her house and just soak in how she was with her kids.

Her name is Terri. The child she had as a 15 year old is a LLL Leader, RN, and lactation consultant.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Family, school, roommates, co-workers, watching others, etc. THere's no one person who taught me.
    Anonymous

• LOl Steph319! Me too!
    Anonymous

• I did every thing the exact opposite of my own parents. My parents were teens we waited until we were in our 30s. They kept the house filthy I keep my clean. My mom ignored us I play with my kids. My parents were broke and always in debt we have money and no debt. We lived in Gov housing we own our home outright. My parents did drugs I have never touched them. My parents abused their kids I give my kids love and support.

They taught me how to be a bad parent I just did the opposite and am a great mom.
    Anonymous

• Since when does a clean house equal a good mother?

No one taught me how to be a mother. I have no role model for that. I had plenty of practice though raising my sisters before I had my sons. As for cleaning, once again no one taught me. My apartment isn't the cleanest but is clean enough. What is important is that my kids are happy, healthy, clothed and have a place to live.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 5:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I don't think that being a good house keeper and being a good mother are the same thing at all. That said, my parents didn't directly teach me how to keep my house clean, but instead had a fairly cluttered (not dirty) house while I was growing. The clutter freaked me out. Now I don't like clutter. I clean and declutter often.

I think it was a combination of my children and what I felt I did or did not get from my mother as a child that taught me to be a good mother.
    Anonymous