Is cat food bad for dogs?

Just wondering if anyone knows if cat food is bad for dogs. Anything make a difference if it is wet?

KiaiMomma

Asked by KiaiMomma at 4:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Pets

• Oh my the other day my dog ate my cats food and threw it up! So I would say yes. I have always heard from others that its bad but I really dont know why.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Its not bad. It just doesnt contain the proteins and vitamins that dogs need. Thats why they are seperate
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Like to feed them forever yeah like Steph319 said it lacks the protiens that dogs need but if they eat it by accident i don't think its a big deal. I have a teacup and he has gotten into my friends cat food bowls and hasn't been sick or anything but every pup is different.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Its ok to feed a dog cat food, but you cant feed a cat dog food as it hasn't enough protein. As long as it doesn't upset his stomach it will not harm him. It is very high in protein and can make then throw up. However some ppl found it gave there dogs no harm.
    Chize

Answer by Chize at 4:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Actually it doesn't lack protein. Cat food should have more protein unless your buying a very cheap brand. If you fed cat food to dogs on a regular basis they would become overweight and some other vitamins would be missing.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Cats need a nutrient called Turine(?), which dog's don't need, and it can in the long run cause problems for the dog.
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 9:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It won't hurt them if they sample the cat's food, but as a replacement for dog food it isn't made with the same balance of nutrients. It's better to feed soemthing that is intended for the species you're feeding it to.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Ive heard if a dog eats cat food it will make the dog fat and lack certain vitamins.
    juju67

Answer by juju67 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Cat and dog food are made different with what they need to be healthy. It doesnt hurt them to eat each others food on occasins. Like us and mcdonalds lol. However be awaire if the cat food contains Salmon. Salmon can be very harmfull to dogs. It can make them very sick. Even kill them. Most of us do not buy catfood with salmon though. I do it occasionaly but not offen and in fackt the cat doesnt like it. Its best in households with both cat and dogs not to buy anything fo the cat that containes Salmon. The Dog will get into it and probably the worst will be that he throws it up but better to be safe than sorry.
    Roharn

Answer by Roharn at 4:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Salmon is NOT harmful for dogs. I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and it is salmon based and it is an awesome food.

I agree, I don't think it would be harmful if your dog occasionally eats cat food, but I wouldn't make a habbit out of it. There is a reason why cat food is cat food and dog food is dog food. Dogs and cats recquire different nutrients.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2009