Do you think women should be allowed to go to combat?

There was a poll going on in the news today, right now they are not allowed, military has regulations against it. What do you think? Are women capable of combat, just like men are? Should those regulations be changed?

Asked by older at 4:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Yes, GI Janes kick BUTT! I had a journal about them

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I don't think women should be in combat positions. They are not as physically strong as men--in needing to carry and operate heavy equipment, are too emotional--especially around their periods, and need too many accommodations that men do not get.
    Anonymous

• But anon they go through the same rigorous training men do, and do very well.

Answer by older at 4:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• ok...this may get me clobbered buy here I go......1) as long as they can carry all their own gear and carry their own weight. When my dh was in boot camp the women did not have to carry what the men did or score on the physical requirements what they did. When you are on the battlefield there isnt a curve. 2) my main concern for women on the battlefield is what can happen to them when caught can be more horrific then what happens to men and that men might be distracted trying to protect them. Yes, I do know that is sexist, its also true.

Anonymous

• I tend to agree with the last anon if they can hang tough like the others then yes..I am a female fire fighter (volunteer)..and I can say without a doubt there are females who just cannot cut it and are better off being a part of the womens auxillary like helping with fund raising and things instead..on the other hand we have some female fire fighters who are terrific..but I admitt it is few and far between
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I agree with tnmom and anon :41. If the can do the job and want the job, let them have the job.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Women are as adaptive as men in combat. The only reason why I would object is that American soldier men are not used to having women in frontline combat, so there would be a lot of sexual distraction.
    Anonymous

• If nothing else, I think women should at least have the option of choosing whether they would go into battle if needed or if they so desire. Many might not choose to go, but there are some gung-ho women who probably would serve as well on the front as any man and who would really want to serve there as well. Knowing how disastrous capture could be, I would be willing to bet that they and their units would probably fight all the harder just to make sure they make it back without undue remorse. Who knows, if women are allowed to go to combat, we might even win our battles faster and get them all home sooner!! Trust & believe me on that, lol.
    2Jays4Tees

Answer by 2Jays4Tees at 4:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• nope I don't think women need to be in the military period
    freedomthinks

Answer by freedomthinks at 5:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

Care to elaborate
    Anonymous