tantrums

We are fighting tantrums like crazy hear and don't know how to handle them. I suggested letting ds throw them either in his room or buckled in his carseat then when its over have him sit for 3 min to think. After that we will sit down with him and give him the words... How were you feeling? Why? What would have been a better way to show me you were... Problem is dh doesn't think its not going to work. He says we need to discipline him for it. What are you doing to stop the tantrums?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, try Your way FIrst for 3 weeks.. THEN you can try his way .. men tend to think punish first before talking or using other methods..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Ignore them.

If you do a good job of avoiding situations that lead up to tantrums then there shouldn't be many. If tantrums get no response then there is no reason for the child to have them.

I had three children and they weren't perfect but we never had problems with tantrums.

I recommend the book Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary. She has a website called Star Parenting.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• totally agree with Gailll - ignore the situation but not the child. When mine would have tantrums, I'd let them go at it, when they were done, I'd ask them if they were done with their fit and leave it at that. Mine had very few tantrums and we never used physical punishment.
    Anonymous

• I tend to ignore tantrums as well. Any focus on them just makes them worse. Never give in on a tantrum as that will definitely make them worse. I keep talking to my son as if he weren't throwing a tantrum to try to distract him. I never tell him to stop as that just seems to make the tantrum worse. I have occaisionally strapped him into his car seat when I was having problems with him while we were out (just make sure to open windows if you're someplace warm). I've also found that getting him out of the house to the playground or just running errands seems to reduce the number of tantrums (i.e. change of scenery). Rainy, indoor days are almost always the worst.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• The only problem with completely ignoring them is his tendancy for destruction. We already have one hole in the wall and I'm honestly afraid of what might happen oif he gets too close to his sister. Oi know he would never intentionally hurt her but he gets so unaware of where his body parts are when he's in meltdown mode.
    Anonymous