Spin off on the MJ and alcohol question...Friday your thoughts please?

OK so I am a bit torn on this topic. I must admit that Friday has given me over the months/years a lot to consider. I am just wondering though do you (in general) think that the majority of the people who smoke MJ do so for medical reasons or for more of an escape from reality sorta gig?

I know everyone is going to bring up the people drink as an escape..and I too agree but I am curious...if both are more the escape (relaxation or whatever name you want to put on the same thing) then doesn't that make the underlying issue more apparent?

Not sure if this is making any sense as I type it..*laughs* It makes more sense in my head perhaps...

mamakirs

Asked by mamakirs at 4:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Lol, mama, friday talked me into it as well.
    MJ is a bona fide medical miracle. It's awful that it isn't used. Do you honestly think God created something so useful and didn't want it used?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I don't personally smoke so much to "escape." In fact, I don't think that smoking has ever led me to "escape" from anything.
    Yes, it calms my nerves when I'm stressed. Yes, it quells my nausea when I'm ill. It has been extremely rare that I have ever sat around and just smoked bowl after bowl. Normally I'm a one-hitter girl. One hitter, I'm good.
    For those who don't know, that's actually less than equivalent to a glass of wine. I HATE to drink, and can barely stand the smell of any alcoholic beverage.
    Anonymous

• I have been on pain meds for 7 years. At first they gave me the addictive narcotics like Percocet and stuff. I couldn't tolerate this so they started prescribing pain patches, pills to relieve muscle spasms, some pain reliever that didn't relieve anything and pills to combat the effect the pills were having on my ulcers. A friend recently gave me some mj; I hadn't touched it fin 27 years. I stopped when I started having children. Anyway, I am disabled and retired now, my pain is unending. One night I smoked about four pulls of a mj stick, and you know what? For the first time in seven years I was able to rest at night, through the night. When I woke up, my thoughts were clearer and I had a feeling of well-being about me. In general, I felt better than I had in a very long time and so was able to function better. But I am a sissy-girlie-granny, and because it's not legal I chose to quit again until they make it legal. Legalize!
    Anonymous

• *listens* Awesome ladies..thank you for your responses. I have been really trying to get some info in my head as of late because when and if the time comes for a vote or what have you, I'd like to do so as I do with all other issues....with some research.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Well there is the good ol' cocaine plant...we just seem to take things to an extreme..and what about tobacco? I really think for medical purposes it would be great....I am just doing so much reading I decided I wanted to talk to real people about it.. That Friday is a great crusader isn't she? *laughs*

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Why does it matter? I don't think it is my place to judge. Cannabis is safer than any other drug whether it is recreational or not.
    Just because it makes people feel good, doesn't make it a bad thing.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 6:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• First, I 100% agree with momandvet, as usual.

Second, everyone who imbibes has their reasons, many are legit medical pts, some self medicate many creative people use it for inspiration, Carl Sagan was a brilliant scientist who smoked to expand his mind. Of course there are plenty who just want to get high but that should not matter, it's not the govts job to tell people what they can ingest. 

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Thanks for the kind words ladies it's nice to know intelligent people are listening.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• In my experience, a glass of wine has relaxed my muslces. A hit or two of MJ just messes with my sense and my head, my vision is a lot different and my thinking is also different. That's just how it is for me personally. I think MJ should be by perscription only.
    Anonymous

• I smoke usually once a day and only at night. I have horrible anxiety (i was put on HIGHLY addictive anxiety medication and antidepressents that nearly killed me) and weed helps me relax and slow down my mind. After I smoke I feel much more like me I guess you could say. My anxiety isnt through the roof and I am able to smile and laugh. It should be legal.
    Anonymous