My daughter is 12 and has not had her first period yet and has been complaining about vaginal discharge on a daily basis for the past couple of weeks. No burning or itching, just clear-white discharge. Is this a sign she will be getting her period soon? Or is this something a doctor needs to look at?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'd say talk to a doctor. But the thing is she would need to see an OBGYN probably
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• If it isn't itchy, or foul and you are sure she has not been sexually active I wouldn't worry about it. Get some panty liners for her.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My granddaughter went through that discharge thing last year. She got her period this year. I had forgotten all about why the discharge starts.
    2Jays4Tees

Answer by 2Jays4Tees at 5:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Oh, yes, I must agree with GrnEyedGrandma; get the child some pantyliners. It's a great and comfortable introduction for what comes next.
    2Jays4Tees

Answer by 2Jays4Tees at 5:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think it's probably normal. I went through this a full year or two before mine started. I remember because when I"d notice at school I'd run to the bathroom to make sure I hadn't started in class. It's probably a sign she'll be starting fairly soon...meaning, within a year or so.
    Anonymous

• my niece got her period last week. (11) and last year she was having those problems
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I went through the same thing when I was her age, before and after i got my first period.
    Anonymous

• Grn Eyed Mama is right. Get her some pantyliners. My daughter (12) just wnet to the doc and she said these things are natural just a way of telling your body what is about to take place. As soon as it starts to bother her, take her to the doctor.
    Regina248

Answer by Regina248 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My 12 year old has the same issues. She is also having growing pains...and is constantly complaining about something that is wrong, lol..or hurting. I forgot what a pain in the butt puberty was! mine has pantyliners, and is uncomfortable w/ the changes taking place, but I told her, it's normal, and I will answer any questions she has, and for her just to ask...
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• It's normal not to have her period yet. It seems like so many girls get it when they're 9 and 10 nowadays that it seems like when a girl's body waits it's taking too long lol. We tend to start late in my family, my mom was 15, I was 13 and my little sister was 13. The discharge is her body trying to hit it's estrogen threshold to ovulate. It's normal. Just make sure you ahve the right supplies in stock (tampons are scary for a girl that age, usually, so make sur eyou have pads!).

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2009