My one yr old still isnt sleeping through the night?!

My son will wake up as many as 4 times during the night. We start our day at 7am and we'll play, eat, read, etc and then Ill take him to daycare when I go to work or college. He only naps for about an hour at daycare and then we come home and play, eat, read, etc. He is sooo tired by 9pm that hes walking sideways and just being goofy, so I put him to bed. VERY RARELY will he sleep through the night... He always wakes up crying. The doc said it was nightmares but i just don't believe it. Does anyone have any advice? Am I missing something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DD didn't start sleeping through the night till 17 months. It will happen eventually. She just turned 19 months and sleeps 12 hours straight about 95% of the time now.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It's normal for kids to wake up at night until they are 3. If he was breastfed he would probably still be nursing at night. Since you are a college student here is a link to info from an anthropology prof.

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detsleepthrough.html
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Have you tried an earlier bed time? If your son is acting over tired before bed he may not be getting the quality sleep he needs.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 5:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My son is 4 and didn't sleep through the night until earlier this year.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I would try an earlier bedtime as well. My one year old goes to sleep between 7-7:30pm and sleeps until 7am. And he takes two 1 1/2 hour naps/day. It doesn't sound like your son is getting enough sleep and he may be so overtired that he has a hard time settling into a sound sleep.

Answer by missanc at 6:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Thirding moving the bedtime to earlier. My children night wake and get up early if their bedtime is off.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Kids who do not get enough sleep do not sleep as well - - try the earlier bedtime and see what the daycare can do about getting a longer nap in. This is not a guarantee - some kids just get up more often than others, but if he's acting "goofy" :) then he's overtired and should go to bed earlier.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• "10% of babies at the age of 1 still are not sleeping through the night" that is what my pedi told me. My daughter is 16 months and has never slept through the night. I figure she will when she is ready unless she is like my brother ( he is 27 and has never slept an entire night). Kellymom.com also has some really great articles on sleeping through the night and the common misconception of what that means for children. Sleeping 8-12 hours straight is the ex eption not the rule. Ask yourself this...how often do you sleep 8-12 hours without waking up? With me that is almost never...I usually wake up after 6 hours and I either get something to drink or pee or just go back to sleep. My daughter does the same thing, but only sleeps in 3-5 hour increments. Once I started looking at it that way it was really easy for me to let go of the idea that she woke up all the time. Good luck to you and hope all goes well!
    mammacita9

Answer by mammacita9 at 12:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2009