What were the first signs that you noticed before your child was dignosed with Autism?

What were the first signs that you PERSONALLY noticed that caused red flags? What was the final straw to get your child tested for Autism?

babyjohnson1028

Asked by babyjohnson1028 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Lack of speech was the ONLY thing I noticed about my oldest son when I had him evaluated. He was, and still is, very smart and could figure things out so I didn't really think there could be anything else wrong. I had him evaluated when he was 2 1/2 because he still was only speaking 3 words (I had called at 2, but it took around 6 months to get the appointment)

Answer by missanc at 5:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Lack of speech, meaning, mostly gibberish at age 1 or no talking at all. Plus, playing alone, lining things up, repetition, things had to be a certain way all the time, and he was only 18 months old.
    There are more, but those pop off right now.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I didn't know anything about autism at the time, but my son couldn't handle 2nd stage baby food. He would bring it right back up. He was 18 months old . We didn't get the diagnosis of autism until he was 3 years old. We were having him tested to see if he was ready for preschool.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Severe lack of fine motor skills, extremely high cognitive skills, very advanced verbal skills, sensory processing disorder, inability to cope with change...
    Anonymous

• Same as :49 and my daughter was never social as a baby she just stared through people. She has been different since she was a baby.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2009