On psychiatric medicine and want to get pregnant

Hello, I am on psychiatric medicine and I want to get pregnant. My husband and I both want a healthy baby and I'm wondering if any of you know of medicine for depression and anxiety that are safe for a baby. I've read that several of them can cause anything from heart or lung malformation to physical malformations. I realize you are not doctors, but I'm wondering if you can point me in the right direction for my research.

angel637

Asked by angel637 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Here is info from Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepressants/DN00007
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• my sister is bipolar and when she got pregnant they put her on lymectol
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I took Effexor XR while pregnant and I am bi-polar my daughter turned out fine (minus being a stinker pot). Now I take Wellbutrin SR and Buspar and know those are safe for pregnancy. I take Geodon and Xanax too and know you cant take those at all. IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU!! What your taking the meds for and if you can handle being off them or take pills to outweigh the benefits over the risks. I hope this helps. You can Google your meds and see if they are safe for pregnancy.
    AmyHeinrich

Answer by AmyHeinrich at 5:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Almost all my current meds are unsafe. I googled my current meds and that's why I'm researching others. I don't think my doctors are doing the research I would like them to do (probably way to much to expect for one patient) so I want to take my research to them to see what they think. It's the way I manage things. I'd rather be overinformed in situations especially with the pills I put in my body.
    angel637

Answer by angel637 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Do not count on your dr to do all the research. I have been TTC for over a year and I am bipolar. I told my DR I was TTC and wanted to be put on meds that are safe to take while pregnant. He only took me off one med and come to find out from another dr that the ones he kept me on are not safe at all. So, do you own research. Dont just trust the DR like I did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Im currently on prozac and Im in the same boat with ttc. I have done a lot of research on the topic. basically no antidepressant is 100% safe when pregnant. however, i have learned that with prozac it does not cause birth defects. It can cause withdrawls in the baby if it is taken in the last trimester, however if you are weaned off before that it will have no adverse effects, so I highly recommend the prozac. What are you on right now? My doctor wanted to put me on paxil, and I read that paxil causes tons of birth defects so I definitely refused to take that one.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I'm on Seroquel, Lorazepam, Cymbalta and a sleeping pill. I know none of these are safe. That's why I'm researching safer meds.
    angel637

Answer by angel637 at 7:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2009