Treatment resistant depression and being a mom?

I have had issues with depression since I was 14. I've been on pretty much every medication that exists, seen 9 different psychiatrists, and in therapy and none of it ever helped me. All that has ever helped me was time. Now I am 8 months out and I see no end in sight to the depression that has been worsened by motherhood. I can't be a depressed mom like this: It is like I tell myself to just do one more day, give one more smile, and you'll feel better tomorrow, but that never happens. I need to go the natural route or get ECT, so far I've been feeling a little better with adequate rest, nutrition, exercise, and try to get enough sunlight.. but I'm still in a pretty deep hole. There are no naturopaths near me. Does anyone on here have any experience with natural herbs or supplements that they can recommend to me? Or information for me? I am still breastfeeding, by the way. I'd just get ECT but my doc is not board yet..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• maybe its your situation? Meds cant help if your everyday life is whats causing the depression
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• oh wow... that sounds just like what I've been going through forever.. I have been on and off meds since I was 13 and its up in the mid-thirties of how many i've tried and I have tried the natural route too - always ending up back on meds.. I have a chemical imbalance that makes the meds that do work, only last for a couple years at the most, but I've only ever found 2 that actually did. I have no answers but I can tell you that you are not alone, I couldn't get my shrinks ( all 8 of them ) on board with ECT.. i checked myself into the hospital about 10 years ago but that's a whole different type of issues they treat in there and it scared me to death... I also have ADHD - but not the hyper kind, the can't concentrate or read and just zone out type.. so I have never been able to read up on nutrition and aromatherapy or things like that that are supposed to help.. I am so sorry you are feeling this way.. email anytime
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• OP) sometimes I'm happy and very satisfied in my life, though. My circumstances only seem negative when I'm depressed. They seem great when I'm not. My dh and I have some money struggles but, who doesn't? And he really tries very hard to help me and tries to make me happy. It's another problem I have: my husband thinks he can use his will or be nice til I am happy again.. But it doesn't work like that.. I feel incredibly guilty for being depressed. I have a nice life, a beautiful son, and a husband who tries so hard to make me happy.. .
    Anonymous

• I've had the same situation. Then I had ppd which made it worse. Read it sounds strange but it help. Also they have all sorts of assorted teas. Chamomile works great. Talking and journal keeping also help. I have tried every meds they all make me violent. In high school I found pot helped and didn't make me violent but since I've had kids I refuse to risk losing them and put my health aside so I have learned to adapt. Lavender bubble baths are really relaxing. I hope my advise helps a little. If you need to talk ever or need any help please PM me I'm glad to help with any thing you need Good Luck it will get better if you make adjustments.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think ECT is a good option if you can find someone experienced.

Sometimes it can seem like you have tried everything but there are really things that are out there that you haven't tried. You haven't been to the person with the right training. Keep searching. Meditation helps me the most of any natural therapies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I hope you find something that helps. I am pregnant and everyday is a struggle. I take meds as well, but I can barely function. I really hope you find something that works.
    Anonymous

• thats what I mean.....I am in the same boat.. I go in and out of the same thing.. sometimes I can talk myself out of BAD FUNKS or bad times.. but more times i cannot.. I have a wonderfully supportive husbamd.. somedays it just doesn't matter..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• What is ETC?
    Anonymous

• Are you religious? You could turn to your religion for help? I know that when I get depressed it's because I'm lacking in my religious "responsibilities" ie prayer, scripture study, journaling, or just being a good person in general. I've been near suicidal and it always comes back to that, that I need to focus on the spiritual things and turn to God.
    Anonymous

• I will have to echo PP. Ten years ago I was thinking about throwing myself in front of a train. My mom gave me a book that got through to me. I prayed and gave my life to the Lord Jesus, and I told Him that if He wanted me to go on living, He would have to take the pain away from me. What happened was nothing short of a miracle. The suicidal thoughts were gone, and I was able to cope with the situation that was causing me pain. I recently started on Celexa, but the depression is nowhere near as severe as it was. I've just been grumpy and wanting to sleep all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2009