feeding

I have a 2 week old baby and I breastfeed her 2 1/2 ounces about every three hours. I don't know how much she gets when I don't pump though. How do I know if she's eating enough? And when do I step it up and feed her more? And how often..

melfre

Asked by melfre at 6:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• give her as much as she will take. if she gets sleepy right away just try to stimulate her to eat by rubbing her under her cheek. if she seems content, then she is probably eating enough. the bad part about it w/ my daughter was that she would eat, fall asleep, and want to eat again 30min to an hour later. it was annoying sometimes to feed her on demand, but i just went with her schedule, and she turned out perfectly happy and healthy. if she's peeing and pooping well, dont worry or try to figure out how much she is getting. if you are concerned she is losing weight then i would contact the doctor.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• and she will let you know when she needs more. there will be a day when you feel like she is just wanting to eat non-stop. just keep offering her milk, and your supply will naturally increase.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Why do you need to know? There is no way of knowing. Even weighing a baby on hospital scales before and after a feeding is not considered 100% accurate.

Do you have a special needs baby?

It's best to give no bottles or pacifiers the first 6 to 8 weeks.

Breastfeed your baby every 2-3 hours. Watch for stools in the diapers.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website

I'll check back for the answers to the questions
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I would think that she is okay long as she seems satisfied and is having plenty of poopy/wet diapers. At that age you just feed on demand. When she doesn't seem satisfied anymore you will need to up it.

More than likely she is getting more than 2 1/2 ounces when you nurse your body produces more when you nurse than when you pump.
    melmel83

Answer by melmel83 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Okay, it sounds like you have 2 separate issues. You're concerned that she's not getting enough milk while at your breast and you're concerned about how much to put in a bottle when you bottlefeed. First one first - you don't need to worry about how much she is taking. Babies self regulate at the breast, nursing different amounts at different times. Don't stress about that. Second issue. I really can't answer that since I don't bottle feed. However, I am sure you'll get some decent advice on that pretty quickly. The only caution I will add is that breastfed babies eat less per feeding because the milk is so quickly digested.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Your baby is getting enough milk at the breast if she is having 6-8 wet diapers each day. She is more than likely taking in MORE from nursing than what you are able to pump because even the best pump isn't as efficient as a suckling baby. By giving her these bottles so early, you are jeopardizing you milk supply - because you can't pump as much in one sitting as she will eat, your body will think that it doesn't need to produce as much milk. Once your supply is well established, usually after at least a month of nursing on demand, giving occasional bottles of pumped milk is just fine (in fact, I encourage it as a way to not feel trapped by your baby's feeding schedule). Until that point, however, I would lay off the bottles if it's possible.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• One more thing: nurse ON DEMAND, not on a set schedule. With a newborn, this is going to help you establish your milk supply.
    Also, you do not need to watch for how many stools she is having, just wet diapers. 6-8 each day indicates that she is getting enough milk. Babies in general and especially breastfed babies do NOT always poop every day. They can go over a week without cause for concern.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I breastfed all of my kids on a roughly 3 hour schedule. The key is to make sure they are getting a full feeding (15-20 mins/side) and not falling asleep halfway through or they will wake up soon wanting more. As long as she is having 6-8 wet diapers/day she's getting enough.

Answer by missanc at 7:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Your baby is very smart and will let you know how often she needs to eat and for how long. She will also let you know when she needs more by asking to nurse more. Just watch your baby and follow her lead! For more info check out Is my baby getting enough milk?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• nurse on demand. check dipaers 6-8 aday. thast all you need to watch for
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009