tired placenta?

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and my dr. said at 32 weeks she wants me to come in once a week for a non stress test to make sure i don't have a tired placenta. ?? does anyone know what this could mean i been stressing out about it all day. I've already had two kids and they were healthy so I'm not sure bout this. on the 19th i go for an ultrasound again so maybe i'll find out more. does this sound like they are being careful or could this be serious.also i get really bad pains in my chest and stomach. it happens every once in awhile but is so painful. its a sharp pain. when i asked my dr. she thought it was indigestion but its not a burning pain or any thing. i get to the point were my chest tightens and i sweat really bad it hurts.if anyone had had this happen or could explain more i'd appreciate it. thank you. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• chest tightening and sweating sound like anxiety/ panic attacks. does NOT mean you are "crazy", it just means you have 2 kids and are pregnant now!
    I have never heard of "tired placenta". I do not even want to guess what she meant by that.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• How did your doctor determine this? Dd you have an ultrasound? If so, did the doctor do it or another tech?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• The placenta does start to stop working. Usually not until the 40th week, but it can happen sooner. The doctor want to make sure the placenta stays attached to the uterine wall and that it is functioning as it should. Might have seen something in the last ultrasound or heard something at your last visit. Do not stress about it as that will agitate the condition. Nothing serious at this point so no need for concern. Trust your oB and that he/she knows what is best for you and your baby.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I was just going to say what 2autisticsmom mom said - - the placenta matures throughout your pregnancy and when it reaches the end, it can stop functioning correctly. Non-stress tests are easy and painless - I had them done (not for this reason) every week for 3 months and found my 30 minutes laying in bed with a book and no outside distractions and small children running around to be rather relaxing :) Which might help with those anxiety attacks you were describing. Don't stress about it - just go in for the tests and make sure to being a good book and maybe an mp3 player to keep yourself occupied as it is a 20 minute test at best.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• While it's true that the placenta can have problems at any point in pregnancy, a normal one does not stop functioning at 40 or 41 weeks. Most women give birth to placentas with plenty of reserve. Naturally, they expand through pregnancy. Even with some calcification, there is usually plenty for mom to go for weeks after her due date.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2009