26 years?

Brian Dugan is the reason we started learning about stranger danger in grade school. He's why our parents quit letting us go trick or treating alone. Since I was 11 years old, we've been waiting for this day:
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/1878501,States-attorney-Dugan-Sattement_NA111109.article

26 years after raping and murdering a little girl the same age as we were, who lived up the road from my grandparents, this bastard gets the death penalty. In the meantime it's gone through improper prosecution, evidence tampering, and anything else you can find in the average episode of Law and Order. They knew about him from the beginning. We knew family members of his who couldn't figure out why they weren't prosecuting him 15 years ago.

Why is our system so screwed up that it takes 26 years to get justice for a little girl?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They'd probably fry my ass quick enough for blowing him off the face of the earth!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I don't know but it happens OFTER!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Money and the lawyers that feed off of them (the criminals).

Anonymous

• I wonder the same thing NP. Situations like these always make me wonder why there isn't more vigilante justice. When I imagine my kids in that same situation I can only think that I would be literally blinded by my rage.

Unfortunately there will be no justice for murder victims.  I can only hope that the families of the victims can feel some sense of justice.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• B/C the system is broken, and has been your years
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• When I imagine my kids in that same situation I can only think that I would be literally blinded by my rage.

That doesn't help much, though. There were 2 guys convicted of the murder a few years after it happened even though the detectives KNEW they didn't do it -they hid evidence and went through with it anyway just to say they found the bad guys. Dugan confessed that same year and they STILL didn't resolve it until now. (the detectives were prosecuted in the meantime, the wrongfully convicted guy eventually was released - lots of bad things happened here) If anything, I'd say the detectives were the vigilantes in this case.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Unfortunately that's our judicial system! It need to change.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Sorry, but you can thank the libs in the government for that. thats my opinion anyway. They make process way more complicated then need be.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2009