Am I WRONG for thinkinng this way?

O k so my boyfriends father owns a roofing company and from what ive seen and heard business is going well and is pretty successful whe nit comes to customers,me and so are not married but we've been talking about it..anyay is it wrong for me to want to know who the business is going to when his dad dies or who he is going to pass the business down to? would he be offended if i asked him about this? its not all about the money but i think it would be great for our family if we were to get the business!

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 8:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yeah, you can't ask. It might seem greedy or even gold-digging, no offense intended. I know you are just curious. Your SO could ask.

Answer by Bmat at 8:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You arent married to him, so...yeah.
    I mean its nice to know the direction your family could possibly go in, but technically its just not your business or place to know those type of details right now.
    be patient, if you two get married then ask away!
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Yeah heres the deal I have a huge trust fund and don't tell anyone about it. If I were dating a man and thinking about marrying him and he asked me if I'd leave the trust fund to him it would pretty much be a deal breaker for me. I'd think he was trying to get his paws in my families money rather than loving me and marrying me for the right reasons. I would just leave that can of worms unopened!
    Anonymous

• It would seem like you care more about the business and potential earnings than him.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You are not wrong to feel secure. Hoever it is not your businss to wory about. Its his Dad. If, when he dies he passes it on to your hopefully husband by then, you have every right to know every thing. No one should be left out of the emediate finances. So I would sugest not thinking about it any more. Enjoy knowing that if his dad succeded he probably will too. I know this isnt anissue of greed but more security. But it will be misconstrude by the family, I almost guaranty it.
    Roharn

Answer by Roharn at 3:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Since you are not married it is really none of your business. You are not family to them.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 3:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• None of your business, I agree. I hope you are feeling sorrow for him as you think of his dad dying.

But it seems to me you are just looking at the benefits for you.

What family? A family unit I thought was a mom and dad with children who are married, you are not married!

Single woman can go around now calling every boyfriend they have a family?

What would be Gods purpose of marriage?

Sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Sounds a little gold-digger-ish to be thinking about, let alone asking about, right now. If someday you get married and his father discusses it with the two of you, then it's fair game to ask about. Otherwise, you risk alienating your boyfriend's parents, and possibly even your boyfriend.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You can ask, you just have to be sly about it. let him know you think it's great that he has a family business and see what *his* plans are. Most people love to talk about that stuff. Does he plan to keep with it, does he have any other venues he'd like to persue? But ot flat out ask who get the business? That's a bit forward.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Yes your thoughts are wrong. I saw a Lifetime movie along the lines of your thoughts. The ending was not a happy one.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 10:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2009