i'm 4 months pregnant, but my 19 month old refuses to wean from bf. help!

we still co-sleep because we don't have any room for her own bed (hard times forced us to rent a single bedroom in my MIL's house). i'll wake up and she's already latched on. it's the only way she'll sleep, and most of the time i feel too tired to fight her, so i give in. any tips would be helpful.

doc says to wean because nursing will cause contractions and problems with my pregnancy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm 36 weeks pregnant w/ #4 and I'm still nursing my 2yr. old (just once a day now). As some of the pp's have said, there usually isn't any problem w/ nursing through a pregnancy as long as you are not high risk.
    That said, if you are feeling ready to wean or at least limit nursing there is nothing wrong w/ that either. When I first found out I was pg my little one was 17mos. and still nursing quite a bit so I gradually weaned him down to just 1-2x per day.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• wear a shirt to bed!! and try to put her on vanila silk soymilk or pediasure to star off with. They are both sweet like breastmilk and the pediasure doesnt have to be refrigerated so you can keep it beside the bed incase she wants some in the middle of the night. She'll probably cry at first but its worth it!
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 8:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Maybe even at first wear a bra under the shirt so she does not have access.

Answer by Bmat at 8:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• 1st. Having sex while pregnant can cause contractions. If he didn't recommend against sex, you do not need to wean.

2nd. It sounds like it's time to set some limits. Wear a shirt to bed. Put your husband between you and baby. Consider night weaning.

Don't give anything other than water at night. THe others are sweet, but you're starting another habit, and it can lead to bad teeth. IF you brush well, the bm won't affect the teeth (google it), but if you can't brush well or use anything other than bm or water, it can cause the cavities.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• 2nd. It sounds like it's time to set some limits. Wear a shirt to bed. Put your husband between you and baby. Consider night weaning.

Won't the baby fall on the floor this way??
    Anonymous

• why would the baby fall on the floor? if hubby is there with it? i would just say no more co-sleeping at this stage or pretty soon you'll have two in the bed. what about a play pin or small bed in the front room or next to the bed? it'll be hard at first, but it's one of those life lesson's all kids have to learn and parents too, it's ok for kids to cry.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• DCOTOR IS WRONG!! MANY MOMS BF THRU OUT THEIR WHOLE PREGNACY.YOU ONLY HAVE TO STOP BF IF YOU ARE HIGH RISK OR HAVE HAD A PREVIOUS MISCARRIAGE OR PREMATURE BABY.BUT MAYBE SLEEP WITH A SWEATER ON? OR LET DH SLEEP IN THE MIDDLE THATWAY SHE HAS NO ACCES TO U
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I agree with sarahmae3 - - unless you were already wanting to wean, there's really no reason you need to at this point unless your pregnancy is high risk. Plenty of women nurse a toddler throughout and after pregnancy (tandem nursing).
    If you are wanting to wean, try wearing a bra and shirt to bed. Do not give her anything other than water at night- it's not good for their little teeth!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2009