what's the best way to get rid of cradle cap??

Asked by cortez_mommy at 6:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my kids had this really bad. I did the same thing for both. Take some warm baby oil. Rub it into the scalp with your fingers. Then take a SOFT baby brush and gently rub in the oil with the brush. Wash it off and when you put shampoo on the baby's head use the brush again.

It'll clear up in no time!

Answer by amethystrse at 6:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I used veggie oil because I was worried about her ingesting the baby oil and it worked. I let it soak in for about 15 minutes then wash her hair and use a soft brush to get out the flakes.

Answer by haberdasher at 7:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Cradle cap - BabyCenter
    Is it cradle cap? What causes cradle cap? How should I treat my baby's flaky scalp? Should I take my baby to the doctor? Can I stop it from coming back? ...

Answer by vbruno at 7:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I used olive oil. Rub a little on scalp before bathtime. Wash the hair at the end of the bath. Then use a baby hair brush to GENTLY remove any loose flakes. Repeat everyday until it's gone.

Don't try to remove all the flakes in one day! You'll just irritate the scalp and possibly make things worse.

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Yup, I talked to someone who works in the NICU and she said take a soft toothbrush, rub baby oil on the baby's head, and scrub it with the toothbrush. I tried it and it worked! Good luck:)

Answer by lilmama22806 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I used my nail to gently scratch it off right after the bath when it was soft and pliable.

Answer by sapient at 9:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• At the hospital here they give you a scrub brush from the things the Dr's use to scrub their nails with while "scrubbing" in. They tell you to put baby oil on it and gently scrub it out. Wash and repeat because it's oil. Keep doing it every other day until it's gone.

Answer by Blaines_wife at 9:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My pediatrician said to gently brush my son's hair & then wash it with Selsun Blue (regular strength) once or twice a week. After using the Selsun Blue 2-3 times, the cradle cap was GONE & never came back! If you don't like the smell of the Selsun Blue, you can add a few drops of it to your regular baby shampoo & do it 2-3 times a week instead.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My DR said not to use baby oil or veggie oil. she said the skin is irritated underneath the cradle cap and it will just irritate it more..instead use Selsum Blue, or i used the disney cradle cap stuff and it worked great.
    i did use baby oil on my DD and it seemed to make her head look more irritated and the cradle cap was back the next day worse than before

Answer by kelcee_eric_bry at 11:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• my doc said head and shoulders or selsome blue and a lady told me baby oil id try the doctors recomendation first he said one week wash scalp and thats it

Answer by vidasmama at 12:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2008