Acid reflux solutions

I am breastfeeding my 2 month old w/ an occasional bottle. The ped put him on Axid. He seemed to get better, but now he is back to being a spit-up king. We are thinking that it might be worsened by the formula that we gave him. We are looking into the Enfamil AR, which I think that was what we used with his brothers. We went through this with them but they were on bottles b/c of them being unsuccessful @ the breast.
I guess I am looking for suggestions to help lessen his pain and the spit-up. There are specialized formulas out there, but no one says, here try this type of breast, ya know.

tabbykat6802

Asked by tabbykat6802 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make sure baby sits up for atleast 20 mins after each feeding and burps well. Try to keep baby elevated when feeding also.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I would nurse on demand and write down everything you eat. You might want to start cutting out dairy and maybe even gluten. It could be a peanut allergy....have an occasional pb & j....
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• my daughter was on zantac drops for 6 months it helped her alot after 6 months i took her off and shes not had an issue sence. she was 9 months when we put her on them and 18 when we took her off she is 2 1/2 now.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 9:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter has acid reflux pretty bad. Just remember the important thing is to control the pain. Spit up is mechanical and usually no meds will help that. The medicine will help calm the stomach acid that comes up and not make it burn as bad. Have you talked to your doctor about Zantac. It helped the pain a great deal with daughter. She is 8 months old and has been spitting up since about a month old. She was on medicine for 4 months until she was 6 months old. Usually by then, acid reflux is gone, if not gone by then, the latest is usually 18 months (thats just the burning not the spitup). I have my daughter on Similac Sensitive RS which is for spitup, it is not as runny when it comes up and she is having more normal spitup rather than huge pools with it but like I said she still spits up. WIth my daughter, we did all the things to help with spit up like be upright for 30 mins and what not, not of it worked. Good Luck!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2009