Has your child broken a bone? Which one? How did they break it?

The question about scrapes and bruises made me curious about broken bones. So has your child broken a bone? Which bone was broken? What were they doing to break it?

Freela

Asked by Freela at 8:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just to answer my own question- one of my children has broken a bone. In his case, the two bones in his right wrist. It was a buckle fracture- basically the bones got bent out of shape but did not actually come apart. He fell off the top bunk... I was actually standing in the room at the time and had no idea how he did it! One minute he was just sitting there, the next minute he did a full flip over the ladder and hit a toy bin at the foot of the bed! He was in a cast for four weeks and a splint for two. Now he lets his sister have the top bunk!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My son broke his wrist when he was five. He was at daycare and fell off the monkey bars:(
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 8:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• never... (knock on wood)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 8:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Oldest son- broken his right middle finger three times, playing basketball in middle school. He also had stitches 8 times before he was 10 yrs old.
    Youngest son- no stitches but broke his right wrist in a bike wreck. Left wrist on a skateboard. Right elbow from being pushed down stairs by a bully. Big toe from dropping a can of beans on it. Left lower leg tib-fib a car pulled out in front of him while biking downhill and he had to swerve causing him to fall.
    Grandson right hand 2 metacarpals, step off fracture jumping on the bed and fell off all his weight on that hand
    Grnaddaughter- no bones broken stitche twice before she was three.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• one of my kids bent a bone plus also another time in their leg fractured a bone and sprained the ankle plus tore a ligament all at school. My other two kids between them only had a sprained thumb. None of them ever had stitches.
    Anonymous

• 6 stitches to his forehead @ 4yrs old-swimming lessons
    Broken pinkie finger at the growth plate bottom knuckle @8yrs old playing with cousin
    Jambed and sprained middle finger @10 or 11-basketball @the YMCA
    Broken ankle @12-backyard football
    Stress fracture to shin @15yrs old-bad shoes for running with fallen arches I didn't know he had
    Countless scrapes and bruises over the years this kid has scars that HE cannot even remeber how he got!
    AND he has played hockey since he was 3yrs old and (knock on wood) never been injured requiring more than iceing it while playing!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Nope. My girls are 9, 7 and 3 1/2 and my son is 8 and none of them have had a broken bone. The worst injury they have had is my son dislocating his elbow when he was 2 1/2 (which was my fault because of the way I grabbed his arm). But otherwise they've never had much worse then bumps and bruises...the worse being my 3yo's face after she fell down the stairs just before she turned 2. She was pretty beat up but nothing was broken.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My now 8 yo also had a buckle fracture, his was of hos Ona (sp). He and his big brother were climbing over the pasture gate whrn the older one gave him a friendly little push (that was the story he gave me anyway!) and over the top he went. I feel so bad that I didn't take his injury to heart. He is a dramatic kid in the first place, it took 2 days of his complaining for me to think it really might be hurt. Feel like I ought to get bad mom of the year for that one!

2 years back my 14 yo broke his ankle practicing JuJitsu, how he has never broken more I have no idea!
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 12:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Not yet (fingers crossed). My little sister broke her arm when she was 4 by jumping off the bottom of a slide to avoid sliding into a puddle. Her foot got caught by the edge of the slide so she fell off hitting her elbow on the wooden beam that surrounded the swingset portion of the park.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 3:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My daughter was bowling with her dad and his girlfriend. The idiot, sorry but he is, let her bowl with a regular bowling ball. She fell forward on the bowling ball and landed on her thumb. It crushed both little bones in her thumb. It was aweful but she never complained unless I had to redress it. She was two at the time. Yes, I know what your thinking, I have full custody. LOL She still talks about it and shes ten. She remembers all the blood too. Im a pediatric nurse and when I go to work she still says, I dont know how you do it mom. LOL Other than that, our 3 girls are happy and healthy!
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 8:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2009