my 1 year old has a fever of 102. should i go to the er?

i just gave him some motrin and im wondering when i should take him to the er. i was going to wait at least an hour to let the medicine work but if it hasnt gone down should i take him?

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 8:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• can you call you pedeitrician? do they have someone on call that will call you back ?
    Anonymous

• I personally would not take him to the ER. I would rotate Motrin and Tylenol. If he is not better by morning, call your doctor. I would only go to the ER if the temp goes above 104.
    mommytoangel407

Answer by mommytoangel407 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Try hard to break the fever. wipe him down with a cool towel, give him ice water or popsicles too. If it doesn't go down I'd probably take him in. Is anything else wrong? Is he fussy or crying?
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• call the pediatrician. Don't go to the ER
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• he is very fussy. doesnt want to sleep just wants to cry
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 9:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• cant call the pedi they dont have a on call person
    saraelf

• Don't take him into the ER and expose him to even more. 102 is BARELY a fever. Give him tylenol, not motrin. If he is still running a fever in the mornin call his pediatrician.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 9:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Your pediatrician doesn't have an on call doctor? Maybe you should consider finding a pediatrician that does have an oncall doctor.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 9:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I would continue with the motrin. It seems to help alot better than tylenol. I would also put him in a tub wit cold water. Let him sit in there for appox 10mins he's going to hate it but it helps to break the fever as well. Rotate between the motrin and the cold bath. He should be better by morning.
    numbawunmom

Answer by numbawunmom at 10:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Don't listen to numbawunmom, do NOT put him in a cold bath! It can bring down the temp too fast and send him into shock. Rotate tylenol & motrin (give one every 4 hours) and call your doc in the morning. Don't take him to the ER. 102 isn't that high, and most docs won't do anything except maybe test to see if there's an infection somewhere. But this time of year they really don't want you bringing your kids in unnecessarily, period.
    Anonymous