Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HI everyone, i just wanted to know if my kids father can sign his rights over i stoped the childsuppport order and he dont take care of the kids or spend time with them we live in maryland i need to knw so we can get started?

Answer Question

Asked by theirmommy102 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • why on earth would you do that? He can but you will never see a dime from him..i would want to drag his ass through the dirt.

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

  • It depends on how the law works in your state. Most states require that a mother be married to someone willing to adopt the child before the other parents rights are terminated. Is he willing to sign the rights over or are you going to sue him to have his rights terminated?

    Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 9:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

  • You can. If both parties agree to it. When you appear in court to make it final the attorney general might try to fight it because they might think that the children need the child support but in my case they dropped it because he was over 10,000 behind and had no intention of paying and asked me in writing to sign over his rights so he would never have to pay the child support. I agreed because he was abuse and hit my child when he did bother coming to see him once every six months. In extreme cases like mine sometimes the child is better off with one parent than two parents if one of the parents doesn't love them and abuses them and cares about money more than seeing them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

  • Anon depends on the state. My ex and I went to court to do just that and it was DENIED. I live in Wisconsin.

    Every state is different. You really need to contact an attorney. Normally, there has to be a reason such as a step parent will adopt, the parent is abusive,etc. You do understand that you and your child loses ALL rights to money he may inherit or win (lottery per se) IF parental rights are terminated. Once terminated, you can't change your mind and get them unterminated. Your best bet is to get an attorney in YOUR state that deals with child custody.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

  • anon. 9:45...why did you drop your case? You still could have forced him to pay and if he was abusive had his rights taken away...just because you pay does'nt mean you have rights, especially in situations like yours.

    Answer by shay1130 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.