Do you think- (please no drama- its a simple "how do u feel towards this" question) I don't want anyone fighting each other

Do you think that a missing white person gets more attention from the media than a missing black person? I really don't know, but I do know that most of the times that I see amber alerts or missing persons reports the face is always white. But I don't know if thats because thats all thats going missing around here or if the police are only focusing on the white cases. But supposesdly (from what I hear) all black missing persons cases are chalked up to drug use, (and I dont know what missing babies are chalked up to) but for the most part black cases are pushed under the rug and white cases are pasted all over news papers and tv. again I say i dont know if this is true or not but what do you think? here is the link to what I was reading that made me start to wonder..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• http://www.bvblackspin.com/2009/11/10/missing-blacks-get-less-media-attention/?icid=main|htmlws-bv-n|dl3|link2|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bvblackspin.com%2F2009%2F11%2F10%2Fmissing-blacks-get-less-media-attention%2F
    Anonymous

• I dont think thats true at all! At our walmart most of the missing children are black. I dont care what race you are, if a child is missing the people of the community need to pull together to find the child! I get amber alerts on my myspace and there isnt a special race that gets more attention.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• http://www.amberalert.gov/pdfs/08_amber_report.pdf

page 17 gives stats on race hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• I would agree that nationally they get far less attention. Locally, I don't think there is that much of a difference. I see many amber alerts for black and hispanics. When the national news covers a black person it is usually a beautiful honors student. It seems like most of the whites covered are beautiful, talented, sweet, etc. They use the tear jerker stories!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Not in my area. Black ppl, Hispanics, Asians then white is the order it goes. But we don't have very many missing white kids around here anyways. Every other day I see on the news "little girl missing, boyfriend suspect". I guess it all depends on where you live.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 1:15 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Yes. How many missing Hayleys and Kayleys have we heard of in the last few months?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I agree that this is the case mostly when there is national coverage involved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• No, we seem to hvae an equal number of whites and blacks. In fact, there was a black baby that was stolen right from the hospital. And a younger black girl from georiga that went missing. I don't think it matters the color of the skin, but the circumsances surrounding the disappearance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I can only say that i have noticed on television that most of the cases that get lots of media attention are white children, i do not live in the US so i cant really say anything about how local media handles things.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:13 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I don't think its a white/black thing but I do think that wholesome clean cut honor roll sweet looking kids get the most media coverage. Not may people care if a child (white or black or whatever) gets abducted and they have shoplifting charges, pregnate teens, or abusive boyfriends or history of drug use.....Those stories almost never turn out good.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2009