Is this understandable or are my feelings unjustified?

I am Pagan and I honestly and truly believe that faith is very important. Now, don't get me wrong, I have no issues with Atheists or others who claim to be spiritual who are clearly not. What you decide to believe or not is none of my business nor is it any of my concern. But the concept that my children may grow up and decide that they have no faith is disturbing to me. And I don't just mean Pagan. They could be Christian, Muslim, or Buddhist (or any other peaceful path) and I know I'd be happy they had found their own path.

Again, I do not think that Atheists are necessarily "wrong". I do not believe they are bad or any such thing as that. I do not believe their souls are lost etc etc. This is just a personal feeling I have in regards to my own children (or immediate family).

--Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe that athiest have no faith. My husband is an athiest, I am a Christain. We all have faith somewhere in our lives...that just how we are made. I heard a great way of looking at what faith means... someone said that faith is seeing the unseen. So, everyone believes in someone, or something that is not seen. So, to put it into something that everyone undestands. noe one can see love. We can all see how love is put into actions but we all must trust, or have faith, that our spouse, kids etc. love us. They do show it in different ways, and maybe even can be unloving in different way and we still have faith that they love us. Does that make sense. For me I hope and pray that my children will know and trust in God, but that will be their decision, but a decision I pray about constantly.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't say your feelings are 'unjustified', but you have to accept that it is a possibility and it will be your children's choice and not yours to make. Hopefully you will respect their decisions, whether you agree with them or not.
    Beichan

Answer by Beichan at 9:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• religion should'nt be forced upon anyone...everyone will find their own way. Life is more peaceful when you can have your own kind of faith whatever it may be. As long as you are'nt doing harm to anybody and you are doing the best you can with your life you are doing good =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I'm an atheist, but I have no problem with people who follow their own religions. I think that a lot of atheists are given a bad name by the select few who try to dissuade people from religion, just like Christians are given a bad name by the select few who try to force their religion onto other people. My children will grow up knowing that they can chose what religion they want to follow, or not follow, etc.
    I think your feelings are understandable. Just make sure to give your children every option when it comes to religion, answer their questions honestly and teach them about the path you chose. :)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We can only teach and show our children the different paths when it comes to religion and allow them to choose for themselves what they know to be right for them...
    I am raising a gs, I am Wiccan and dh is non-practicing Christian (Lutheran) and we are showing him a bit of both worlds, but in the end he will choose which if any religious paths is right for him and no matter the choice, we will respect that choice...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think your feelings are completely understandable. I would rather my child believe in a higher power/creator of some sort than nothing at all. At least then we would have some common ground no matter what. I get you.

justcanttakeitanymore or somethingsgottagive (someone please help me decide)
    Anonymous

• justcanttakeitanymore or somethingsgottagive (someone please help me decide)

-----------------

I think somethingsgottagive is good. :)

---------------------

Precious333

That is an entirely different kind of faith IMO. Love does not compare to a faith in a higher power. You are given firm solid reasons to believe that someone loves you. But faith is based off of something else. It's not JUST about the physical things that make some people believe, ...but it's deeper.

--Faithful4ever
    Anonymous

• I think that if you are a truly spiritual person, it is important to understand that everyone must follow their own path....including your children. While the thought of them being without faith in a higher power one day may be disturbing to you, it's really not for you to decide and it's probably better to make peace with that possiblity now, IMO.
    Just out of curiosity...why is it so important for them to have a faith? I understand that faith is important for you, but if your kids told you one day that they truly felt more whole and happier without a faith, wouldn't you want them to seek that happiness?
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• moniquinha
    why is it so important for them to have a faith? I understand that faith is important for you, but if your kids told you one day that they truly felt more whole and happier without a faith, wouldn't you want them to seek that happiness?

-----------------

Faith is important to me because i have fully embraced it. Without it I would not be myself. I turn to it when i am happy, and i turn to it when i am sorrowful. It is involved in many of may daily activities.
    I never said that i would discourage them from being Atheist. Of course i want them to be happy, but I would honestly feel like they are missing out, not necessarily on the happiness that so many spiritual people have but also on me, and their childhood (because they do agree to be involved in my spiritual practices at this time) and so many other things.

--Faithful4ever
    Anonymous

• So you feel that their relationship with you and their childhoood memories would be hampered if they one day chose to be athiest? I'm sure that they would still value you, your relationship, and the aspects of your faith that you shared with them as children, even if they chose to believe differently. My mother taught me about the bible, and even though I don't believe in it anymore...I still appreciate that she shared that with me, because it was important to her. I think what you are doing is projecting your own feelings about faith onto them and believing they should feel the same. This was my point about everyone having thier own path...not that you would discourage them from athiesm, but that you would assume they were missing out and feel sad for them, just because you feel you would be "missing out" without a faith. Many athiests are very happy and lead very fulfilling lives...they don't feel they are missing out.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 11:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2009