Is there such thing as a Catholic-Messianic Jew?

At first I had the thought that being a Messianic Jew really would cover all the bases. I mean you have adherence to Old Testament law and you believe in Jesus as the one and only unique Son of God and your personal Saviour. All of these posts about Catholicism have me really confused now. I really thought being a Christian was much more simple than this.

Signed ijustcanttakeitanymore or somethingsgottagive (still haven't decided)

PS As "Troll" as this post may sound, I would still like to hear some serious input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Messianic Jew is kind of blanket statement for a person who practices "Jewish" or Old Testament laws and traditions AND believe Jesus is Messiah. Some of these people are Jewish by birth and others are Gentile with no Jewish heritage by birth. I am a Gentile "Messianic Jew"- although I will be one of the first to tell you that the term "Messianic Jew" is not the best despricption. When someone asks I tell them I am a Torah obedient follower of Christ.
    In regards to specifically Catholicism and "Messianic Judaism"- without knowing much about Catholicism I imagine it could exist.
    lanimommy81

Answer by lanimommy81 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Really, no one will even try to answer? C'mon, someone has to be just as confused as I am......

IJustCan'tTakeItAnymore - Something'sGottaGive (maybe I'll just use a combination of the two)
    Anonymous

• I am sad now.......No one will answer....

Something'sGottaGive
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• Anonymous

• Thank you so much for providing that link. I sincerely thought there was such a thing as a Messianic Jew (someone that practiced the laws/traditions of Judaism while maintaining the belief that Jesus was the Messiah.) I guess there can't be a Messianic Jew, then there can't be a Catholic Messianic Jew..........But my biggest question after reading this link is....why doesn't the father count? Why does only the mother being Jewish matter? So a Jewish woman can marry a man of another faith and her children are "grandfathered" in to Judaism, but if a Jewish man marries a woman of another faith his children are what, gentiles? Hmmm....sounds like a good question for this section...

Something'sGottaGive
    Anonymous

• The second link has me confused all over again....lol.

It seems to suggest that I can be a Catholic "Jew"......or are these Catholics that practice some Jewish traditions or are they just for the better treatment of the Jewish people in general but want all Jews to convert to Catholicism?

Something'sGottaGive
    Anonymous

• Messianic Jews believe in infant baptism, that is not biblical. And, make sure if you do join the Messianic Jew religion that you don't try to attain your goal by human effort. See Galatians 3. Pay special attention to Galatians 3:10 All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is eveyone who does not continue to do every thing written in the Book of the Law."
    11 Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."
    Anonymous

• Somethingsgottagive (I love these nicknames and thanks for using it : )

There are messianic Jews. They have congregations all over!!! I am planning on visiting them to celebrate the passover. Anyways. I think this is a great question. For some reason they don't feel like they fall under the authority of the Catholic church. It is a question I would like to think about some more. I will also see if I can find some info on it, but I need to get through the whole bedime routing first.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Really, I like being a plain 'ol non-denominational Christain.......but early in my faith-walk I did have the thought that Messianic Jews would be the only ones guaranteed to have it "right" since they followed all of the old testament laws "just in case".

Thank you for your sincere input.

Something'sGottaGive
    Anonymous