Is this appropriate to say to a child?

My SS is 8 and was told by his mother that the reason she took the day off work for Veterans Day was to spend the day with him to make her time spent with him "even" since she and his dad(my dh), share visits 50/50. In my mind this is a little bit TMI for an 8yr old to process, don't you think? It doesn't sound warm at all and it feels wrong to me that was said that way to her child. What you guys think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it sounds like she was telling him she wanted equal time..what's the problem? an 8yo understands fairness.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think maybe she could have said it a little differently but I don't see a problem with her wanting to make sure she has equal time with him. Especially if she really wants to spend time with him and isn't just doing it for show.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's wrong, per say, but I do think it could have been worded better. Maybe like if she said something like "I don't get to see you as much as I would like, and since you got today off from school, I decided to take the day off from work, so we could make a day of it together :-)" Or something like that...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• At 8 years old, he understands 50/50. I'm sure he appreciates her honesty.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2009