How long does it take to gain muscle? If I rode my bike for 30 mins today and use a StepClimber, is it possible that the one extra lb is from muscle within the last two days? I have been watching my calorie intake.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Oh and I did weigh my self at the same day the day before so I really am wondering if it is possible to gain muscle so fast. Please let me know what you think.
    Anonymous

• No, it's not. You might be retaining a little water, or just depending on the time of the day, the day of the week, etc your weight can fluctuate by a few pounds.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 10:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Stop weighing yourself so much. The number on the scale is really unreliable and doesn't always mean much. Measure yourself instead so you can see if you're losing inches. And no I don't think you could have put on a pound of muscle that fast especially since your not strength training. Here's a great article about the truth behind scales: http://teambeachbody.com/about/newsletters/-/nli/141
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 10:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Nope, it's gotta be water. If you are going to weigh so often, write it down and track your weight for a few months. You'll see all sorts of fluctuations. Measuring really is the best way to tell if you're losing weight or not though!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• dont weigh yourself daily.. it can be depressing ;) the results will be in the mirror and your clothes.. you will not gain muscle if you are not strength training.. you will burn calories and fat but wont get as lean... depending on what your goals are, you should try to do both cardio and strength training.. if you do those and watch your diet you will reach your goal in no time
    sherwins.girl

Answer by sherwins.girl at 11:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Both the bike riding and the step climber are cardio exercises. The body does not gain muscle weight doing cardio. The only way to gain muscle weight is by doing strength training exercises. It takes at least 3 to 4 months doing strength training before the body gains muscle weight.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 3:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2009