Would like to learn how to cake decorate

I watch the cake decorating shows on t.v. alot and I am especially interested in the figures they make that go on the top of the cake. The ones molded out of fondant and then carefully hand painted. Are their special schools for doing this type of decorating?

Danishlady

Asked by Danishlady at 10:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

Level 1 (-340 Credits)
  • At the local Michaels store (craft store) you an take cake decorating class. It's offered through many craft stores actually; you should call one and ask if they have classes. I think it's fun too
    Anonymous

• There are some special schools you can go to. I know Wilton has one but it is really expensive. You can also contact your local votech. I learned by working at a bakery inside a grocery store and I really love it. I use the skills now to make special cakes for my family
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I love to decorate cakes! You should take a class. The only classes I have found are at Micheals.
    If you want to save money or do it on your own time, you can find a how-to-book at Micheals or Barnes and Nobles.
    I have a good fondant recipe from allrecipes.com called "rolled buttercream fondant" and "marshmallow fondant". Read the reviews to help customize your recipe. YOu can even make the recipet for the fun of it to get familiar with it.....its just like playdough.
    Its also sold premade at Wal-Mart and is made by Wilton, comes in a bag. (sorry if you know all this already) GL!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Cake decorating rocks...I am self taught (except for my roses which I learned to make on a toothpick instead of a flower nail)

I know you said you are interested in learning about the fondant, but here is another idea for you just for fun and experimenting...

If you want to learn even the most basic of techniques....borders...writing...flowers....simply fill a decorating bag with crisco. Practice and reuse! That is actually how I taught my children how to decorate. Now when I make a cake, I have offers to help, lol.

Wishing you the best as you undertake the learning process!
    Bufferfly1502

Answer by Bufferfly1502 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2009