My 7yr old daughter cries about going to school every morning. What should I do?

Aslo she has a U.T. infection and the teacher refuses to let her use the restroom. She says that the teacher is mean to her and cries hysterically about not wanting to go.

jacrain

Asked by jacrain at 10:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would definately contact the teacher about the situation. Ypu could also talk to someone else maybe the principal and see what they could do to better accomadate your daughter to where she won't feel so frightened to go to school. They can and should do this. I have had similar problems with 2 of my kids. I went and talked to the school and they should be able to help you and her out.
    fraziersmom

Answer by fraziersmom at 10:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Me? I'd withdraw her from school.

If that's not an option, take her to school in the morning & get to the bottom of it. Demand a class change & that she be allowed to use the restroom when needed.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I would also go and talk to the teacher. There is no reason to keep a child from going to the bathroom when they are sick. I would talk to your child and find out if anything else is going on. Maybe if you know the mothers of some of the other children in her class they can give you some insight as well
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter had an episode this year when she cried about going to school for a couple of days in a row, finally it clicked with me that something is wrong at school. I asked her a few questions, then I got to "is there anyone in the classroom that is picking on you?" This was it for her! There was a little boy in the class that had been bullying her, pushing her down, saying mean things to her, etc. Mostly all when the teacher wasn't looking. I went to the school and had a quick, private talk with the teacher. She took care of it right away. I didn't doubt that she was a good teacher, but she certainly reinforced it in my mind.
    You definitely need to talk to your daughters teacher, esp about the using the bathroom thing. That just isn't ok, but the teacher may not realize the problem. Also sometimes what a sensitive little girl perceives as "mean" may not really be that mean. I'm just saying talk to the teacher.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I just wanted to inform everyone that the teacher did know about the problem> She is the one that brought it to my attention and suggested that I take her to the doctor because she may have a UTI. Then after alerting me on that same day she refuses to let her use the bathroom. So, I took her home and she went to the doctor the next day. It was confirmed that she in fact had a UTI. And received medicine. She was sent back to school with a note telling what was wrong and asking that she be allowed to use the bathroom when needed. Instead the teacher would only let her go when it was convenient for her. And my daughter had a few more accidents after all this. I spoke to the principal who promised to fix the situation. After 2 more days my daughter came home saying the teacher asked when would her "bladder Infection" be cleared she was tired of her using the restroom. My daughter said all the kids laughed at her.
    jacrain

Answer by jacrain at 10:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• After the last episode I went back to the school and told the principal that I think my daughter should be put in a different class. He did so and I have had no trouble from her since.
    jacrain

Answer by jacrain at 10:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2009