What age would you let your child shower by itself?

A child almost drowned today in Tulsa, Oklahoma because the mother was in the kitchen doing dishes while the child was showering. Let me just add that the child was 19 months old. Am I crazy or is that just way to young????

Frogbaby83

Asked by Frogbaby83 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh my gosh that is horrible! I don't know what the "right" age to let your child shower by themselves is but my son started showering by himself when he was 5yrs old. I think 19 months old is WAAAY too young.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Uhhhhh yea too young..was the drain stopped up with a wash cloth or something? How'd the child drown?
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1109/677153.html

Here is the website. I got it a little wrong. The 19 month old was in the shower and the 9 month old was sitting outside the tub and someone drowned. That really doesn't make sense to me but thats the news story
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Hmmm reading the story it sounds really weird to me.. There's gotta be more to it. Very, very sad.
    Anonymous

• What tha? When I was going to answer this I thought a child 7 or 8 yrs. of age I did not think I would be reading this sad news. Obviously that child is way too young I swear some people don't deserve to be parents I mean come on common sense people.

My son is 8 yrs. old and he wants to shower by himself but I tell him to leave the door open for now as he gets older he can have alittle more privacy.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• my daughter has been bathing or showering by herself since she was 3..i would check up on her every couple of minutes, and i really wasnt all that far away from her..shes 5 now, and i will let her be by herself for 20+ minutes..she looooves bath/shower time!! shes always singing and talkin to herself, as long as i can hear her i know shes fine!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• That's obviously too young to be left alone near water. My kids started bathing alone when they were 3, 4 and 5...when they were all together. Then the 4 and 5 year olds were allowed to go alone but the 3yo still needed someone with her.
    They are 9, 8 and 7 now and have been showering on their own for years. My 3yo does, too, but she hates showers so someone stays with her just to get her under the water. They only last a few minutes. (We don't have a usable bathtub anymore so they only take showers).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• holy crap! who in their right mind leaves a 19 month old and 9 month old alone in the bathroom? i let my almost 5 year old shower on her own, but the door is left open and i check on her regularly. i would NEVER let my baby or toddler alone in the bathroom.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• first its not a "IT"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• OMG That's way to young. I'm a freak when it comes to water and children. My oldest had to pass her swimming classes before she could shower by her self. She was almost 6. I still sit with my youngest when he is in the tub. He is 4 y/o.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 12:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2009