Have any of you had jaw surgery??

Or do you know anyone that has? I just want to hear your story! I'm getting mine December 2nd. Lower jaw only (moving it back) I'm SO excited but I'm super scared too.

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 11:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband is having a series of 6-8 dental mandibullar/maxillary surgeries to improve the bone structures in his jaws to accept implants. He has had 2 of the surgeries so far on the right and left maxilla/sinus areas with cow bone grafts. He elected not to be placed under sedation, but for them to perform the surgeries via local injections only - he has a high tolerance level for pain.
    His pain is quite high and he takes Vicodin for the first 2 days and then Motrin 800mg for about a week. His stitches stay in for about 3 weeks and they allow him 2 months to heal before the next surgery is scheduled.
    The surgeries have not altered his exterior features at all, but he did say that after his 2nd surgery he was able to smell certain scents more sharply and he has a constant sinus drip, which causes him to cough a lot.
    I wish you the best....PM me if you want ideas on what types of foods to buy for your recovery period.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2009