My poo-ing phobia

Okay...I have never pooped nor farted in front hubby, while hubby was anywhere around, or where he even knows about it. At first, you know, it's the early dating days and obviously you don't do those things while trying to make a first impression. Then it turned into a joke between us about him "catching" me and how I wouldn't let that happen. Just in fun. You know, he'd go into a bathroom after me knowing it smelled like my hairspray and pretend to make a grossed out face. But now...I am damn near TERRIFIED to go while he's anywhere around. I do not fart in his presence. I don't poo unless he's asleep in the middle of the night or he's out of the house entirely. If he stays up late one night, I just hold it until he's asleep...and then the shower is one and the door is locked. It's stupid, but it's horrible. My heart literally races at the thought of being "caught in the act". It's not normal, but how can I fix it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL!! I don't know!! But if you keep it up, you are gonna wreak havoc with your body. I'm sure he wouldn't think it's a big deal. He probably thinks its a bigger deal that you DON'T fart or poo in front of him.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• By facing your fear. Tell him that you have anxiety about it and not to make fun of you about it, and then just do it. You can start off by doing it while he's at home, awake, but with the shower on and then make him turn the TV on in the other room and then just do it.

Holding it in like that is NOT good for you!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think your going to have to just let it happen. Once its done and over with you wont feel the stress and panic about it. I am not saying you have to fart in front of him all the time but being scared to even poop while he is in the house is a little ridiculous. You just have to face you fear on this one!

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• OP- I know it's totally rediculous! I used to be fine with things like this, but after carrying on with the whole "I never do that" thing, it feels like if I do get caught at some point it'll be national news or something. He hasn't work lately, so he's been at home...and I actually trick him out of the house with "hey, why don't you go fishing today" or "Why not take dd to the park?" He thinks I'm being the cool wife who encourages frequent fishing trips...when I'm really just trying to get him to go away!
    Anonymous

• I am almost that bad and we've been together for 5 years. lol and yes at times it has wreaked havoc with my system, but it's been okay. The big issue for me now is that I'm pregnant and am gassy. *sigh*
    I will now go if he's downstairs or sleeping, with the door locked, but he knows not to say anything about it. It's SO silly and I know it. I remember being that way as a little girl too. My family isn't shy about anything like that, it's just me. I think it's part of my OCD.
    I was with my ex-husband for 10 years, married for 6 and I was like that the whole time. lol It has gotten better with age... kinda.
    Good luck.
    Anonymous

• OP-Wow! I'm mildly OCD too! I have the obsessive thoughts every now and then, although not so much now...but not compulsions to do things. Other than not poo I guess. Perhaps they should add "bloated", "cranky", and "gassy" to the list of symptoms of OCD.
    Anonymous

• Man..you must be in some serious pain most of the time! Maybe see a therapist? It's obviously psychological..good luck and hope you can overcome this.
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 12:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2009