Is my 15 month old WEIRD or are other toddlers doing this stuff too?

I was shocked 8 wks ago when I heard my daughter counting her toys out loud as she touched each one. She's been counting stuff ever since.
She "narrates" her life- talking out loud to herself about what she just did or is about to do -I'll kick my ball, I climbed up, I closed the door.

She has new obsessions with coloring, pushing buttons, & going outside... & talking & having tantrums about them.

Tonight while I was running her bath she sat down on her potty, peed, and then clapped and said "I peed in a potty." The thing is, we haven't started trying to potty train yet except showing her the new little potty.

I am proud of her, but I feel like I should ask the DR about developmental disorders or Autism. She doesn't seem delayed in anything but...
I guess what I'm asking is: Is this typical behavior for a young toddler? Counting, self-potty training, talking to herself, etc?

evaRoo

Asked by evaRoo at 11:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Thats great!!! I love it!!! Yes I can understand your concern and for good reason. I would have it checked. My youngest is Autistic and did many sort of the same sorts of things. However I wouldnt give to much concern as she may be a child that learns by audio. My oldest did that and wow was he a doozie. He was so advanced that I could not keep up with him. And sometimes he would talk through his actions as well. If the counting and such seems obsesive it could be a warning sign and we dont ignore them. And trust that if she is say autistic sounds like she would be high functioning and with the new peograms developed out there its more like a new way of childhood rather than a handicap. I love looking at life through my daughters eyes. Yes it was rough at first as she did not have emotional characteristics to show bonding. But for her it was a matter of learning hw to recognize them. She learned. Life is great.
    Roharn

Answer by Roharn at 4:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I think you just posted to brag............
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the help. Sounds like you know a lot about the warning signs of autism and dev. disorders. When kids hit milestones at weird times it can be an early sign of serious cognitive issues. Read a book.
    evaRoo

Answer by evaRoo at 12:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• She sounds fine to me-even a little advanced. Don't worry--just enjoy this time!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• and so what if she did? lol Who cares if this person is lying? Why would it matter to you? Are you jealous?

Most of it is normal. Talk to her Dr and make sure there aren't any issues. Just because she's doing those thing doesn't make her developmentally ahead or behind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• she sounds cute. i wish my son would use the potty that easy, lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My DD's doing all the same things but she's just turned 19 months and most people say she's really advanced. It's definitely early for 15 months so if you're a little worried about it ask the Dr.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:27 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• She might just be advanced in her age.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• we are having the exact opposite happen with my son...he claps when he sneaks around and pees on the walls...i have to say i am a bit jealous.
    cdmillard23

Answer by cdmillard23 at 1:51 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You are right about hitting milestones at odd times being an early warning sign, but it is almost always when a delay is involved. I worked with severe autism and other developmental delays in a school setting during college - none of what you've described sounds like cause for concern. :) If it will help you feel better, you can definitely ask your Dr. about it at her next well child check (18 months).
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2009