Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you think? How should I do this?

I want to sell my car because we can't afford the payments. We had an accident recently(just a bump but it tore up the bumper) so I could sell it as is for less or say I can get it fixed for $500(through the insurance, it's a 500 deductable) and then sign it over. Would people think that's a scam, like I would take the money and run. I think I could sell it for $10000 (give me 500 to fix then 9500 when it's done) or maybe $8,500 - 9 as is. It is $1,027 to get fixed.
It's a '04 KIA sorento with 51xxx miles on it. I just got it in april, it's like brand new I just can't afford it. Our loan right now is about 8000 and I would like atleast 2000 to keep for a new(or older lol) car

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (5)
  • I would do a search on the Kelley Blue Book Value and see what it says is the value for your car - run it with the repair made, then run it again with the damage still there. See what the difference in value is, and see if it's worth it for you to get it repaired.

    I don't see how it could be a scam to get it fixed, but I know that in a lot of places, you have to tell them that the repair was made.


    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

  • Wait, I'm sorry - did you mean that you would have them give you the $500, and then you would get it fixed under your insurance, then sell it to them for the reduced amount? I wouldn't do that if I were you. I would either pay to have it fixed, then sell it, or sell it as is.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

  • Have you looked up the blue book value? We are kind of in a tight spot with our car too they go down in value so fast that we owe more than its worth.

    Answer by stickyfingers at 12:13 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

  • I looked up the value it's almost $11000 but around here they are listed from 10-12 and a lot of those have more miles on them than mine.


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

  • I really think you would be better off either getting it fixed then selling it, or leaving it and selling it for the reduced cost. Because if you make an agreement to sell it, and they give you money - even if it's for the repairs - and you claim the rest of the repairs through your insurance, then there's a good chance they (the insurance company) could decide that maybe you had already sold it and not told them yet, and that you were doing insurance fraud. Not saying that you wouldn't be able to prove if you sold it yet or not, but since you would have already taken money from the purchaser, then, in a way, it's in the middle of being sold, and it get's pretty "gray area", and you probably don't want to deal with that headache and hassle with the insurance company...

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Just for Fun
My poo-ing phobia

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
could i be pregnant