When is a good age to start potty training a boy?

My son is 21mths and i am jus curious when did you start to potty train ur little boy. when they can pull their diaper off? ive heard that but I dont think its accurate. i was thinking waiting til he can speak a lil more adequetly to tell me he has to pee, or to have a few more words added to his vocab..i dunno!

JaydnsMom22

Asked by JaydnsMom22 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont have boys but i potty trained my girl at 2 years old they say no younger than 2...when they can pull their dipaer off and dont like wearing them...it has taken my girl since january to be done it takes 8mths to 1yr ive read
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 1:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Boys can be started when they're two, but don't expect a lot. I wouldn't even worry about it until they're three
    My son won't be three until the spring
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 2:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• im starting my son at 2
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 2:15 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I've heard from my friends with boys that starting before 2 is typically just training yourself to put them on the potty every 15 minutes. The closer to 3 they are, the less time it takes has been the general result in my playgroups, and that has gone for boys and girls.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I started DS when he was 21 months with just sitting on the potty. He had to the choice of clothes/diaper or not. After a month I insisted that pants/diaper were off and I started to teach how to take his pants on/off. He's 2 now and has peed once and he learned from it. It's a slow process and when you start depends on your child's temperment.
    irishmama1007

Answer by irishmama1007 at 7:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I started putting my son on the potty before he turned 1. I think about 8 months. He was in pull-ups before 2 and sleeping w/o a diaper by 2 and a half. Just because they may not seem ready doesn't mean you can't try. Just don't expect it to work quickly.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• ur right hotmama thats what my daughter did with her son to at that age, he is 2 now and is in pull ups, its a long process but keep at it..
    sandykl1965

Answer by sandykl1965 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You can start your journey on the "potty train", when they are old enough to tell you they have to go. They should be able to dress and undress themselves. They also need to be able to clean themselves. You can start at 2 if you want and have them just sit on the potty chair when you are in there. Have them sit with their clothes and diaper on, then progress to having them remove their own pants and sit with their diaper on. I encourage people to use pull ups, not diapers. Do not progress to big kid undies until they are having success on a regular basis. Success is the important part to keep them interested. You will have regression at times when other areas of their development are moving forward. Remember! Once you start, no turning back. You can't decide you don't want to take then to the toilet when you are shopping so put a diaper back on! You need to go every time they tell you no matter what.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• close to 3, I know there are people who say it happens earlier, and trust me I tried at 2, but it was frustrating, at 3 it took 3 days and finished! Good luck mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2009