Have you read Stephenie Meyer's "The Host"?

If so, what did you think?

Also, they are beginning the process of turning this into a movie. Thoughts on that?

What would be your ideal cast for Melanie/Wanda, Ian, Jared, etc?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 12:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Entertainment

• I read it and enjoyed it. I'm not sure about it being a movie, I'm not sure how well some of the internal dialogue between some of the characters will work. It's been a while since I read it, I may have to reread it. As for the casting, I just hope they do a better job than they did with Twilight. I haven't seen the movie and have no desire to and a large part of that is who they cast for most of the characters. As soon as I saw the actors I was disappointed and it really turned me off the movie(s).
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• i havnt yet but i have it on my comp. is it good?
    shanna1509

Answer by shanna1509 at 12:10 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• It IS good. I'm not much of a sci-fi fan (books or movies) but I bought this book in a fit of boredom and LOVED it. It's like sci-fi for people who hate sci-fi. It was slow in the beginning, and took a bit to get me hooked, but once I was I literally pulled an all nighter reading. Do it! I doubt very seriously you'll regret it.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• canadianmom, I understand completely. I will, of course, go see The Host, but I'm very curious as to how they will make it work.

As for Twilight, I agree with the casting. I was pleased with Kristen Stewart in that she LOOKED like my image of Bella, but I'm not a fan of her acting. And Robert Pattinson? Pfft. He can't act either, and he's maybe 1/10 the hot-ness of "my" Edward. The movie did suck, but I watched it anyway, just as I will go and watch New Moon. I do reasonably well trying to enjoy movies as "separate" from their books, but they NEVER measure up. Twilight didn't, Harry Potter never does, and they probably never will.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I totally agree DusterMommy, movies never live up to the book. Harry Potter does come close, at least they stick close to the books (leaving out so much though), but I'm probably one of the only people I know that didn't love the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I know I'll see Twilight eventually, I've actually got a dvd of it here, and I'll see New Moon and the rest of them too, I just don't want to taint my enjoyment of the books.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• The Host is a great book. The beginning was slow but once it picked up, I couldn't put it down. It is science fiction for people that don't like science fiction. Not sure who I would cast in a movie version though. I think it would make an interesting movie.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I LOVED The Host!! It was soo good.

I'm also not too sure about it being a movie. The internal dialogue could be wierd... but I'll give anything a chance.

I'm not sure about ideal cast. I'm always a fan of movies that uses semi-unknown casts. It's great for young actors to get a leg up.
    sweetheart1985

Answer by sweetheart1985 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I have The Host on my dresser, and can't seem to get thru the first couple of pages. It bugs me because I want to read it, but it's not holding my interest. I guess I need to push myself because lots of people are saying it's good.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• The Host is good! I would probably go see the movie if they make one. I never expect the movie to live up to the book, that way I don't get too disappointed.
    table4six

Answer by table4six at 4:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2009