have you ever had problems with your kids teachers?

when my oldest daughter was in pre-k she had the most horrible teacher. one day in class my daughter asked to use the restroom and the teacher told her no she couldnt go. she ended up going in her pants. besides the fact that the school didnt even call to tell me so i could come get her or bring her new pants, they put her ina pair of shorts from the nurses office and sent her on her way to end out the day. it was december and she had to ride the bus home. i was furious and didnt understand why they wouldnt call me

have u ever had problems like this?

shanna1509

Asked by shanna1509 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A teacher should never limit a child on how often they go to the bathroom. People are different.

My kids teacher is a royal bitch. Wait. I homeschool. I am the royal bitch. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I've had problems with teachers before. Not usually, but sometimes. What I try to do is I write out what I have a problem with specifically, and what I would rather see done, then, depending on the school (and if I've had problems with that particular teacher before), I would either talk to the teacher directly, or I would schedule a conference with the teacher and with the school counselor or principal.

Like, in this case, I think I would call and ask the teacher and say you have a concern, and when would be a good time to set up for you to talk? If she asks why, just say you have a question about school and class policies. When you talk to her about it - say you're concerned about what the school policy is in regards to the kids going to the bathroom. Then ask why she wasn't allowed to go to the bathroom.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• cont

Let them know that you're concerned that small children aren't being allowed to go to the bathroom, and that unless she's abusing the system (asking to go every 5 minutes, repeatedly caught just playing in the bathroom, etc), you expect her to be allowed to go. And if there is a problem, you want to be notified, so you can address it at home.
    Then, say that you understand that sometimes accidents happen, but you're concerned because you dress your child appropriately for the weather when you send her to school, and she was sent home in shorts, which were NOT weather appropriate. And that IF your child is to have another accident, you expect to be called, so you can bring her appropriate clothing.

Then thank her for her time discussing this with you, and say you're glad you were able to clear this up. Now, if it didn't clear it up, the teacher thinks it was ok, it keeps happening, etc - then go to the principal.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• What is up with teachers? I've seen this same problem posted in different ways on this site at least 5 or 6 times already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• The only problem i ever had was when my special needs son came home a few days during one week all disheveled looking. Zipper unzipped, shirt a mess(untucked) and I had other problems with his main teacher so I set up a conference with the director of the special needs program, his dad, the aide, the nurse and the principal. Sometimes you have to speak up. You can do it without being rude make sure you have enough "witnesses" to verify if you have to go further up the chain of command because they are rude to you.

I also had a teacher make a comment to my son(teen) by saying Wicca is not a recognized religion.(when discussing appropriate jewelry/religious attire @ school). Needless to say I got a hold of the principal. he took care of it. No problems since then. Don't ever mess with my kids or my beliefs...period.

It boils down to lazy teaching....burnt out teachers who don't give a damn and are there for the paycheck.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I am a homeschooling mom so I have never had to deal with teachers now that I am a parent but I do remember dealing with it in school. We had one teacher (in 6th grade) who wouldn't let the boys go but would let the girls because they get their period. One boy had to go so bad he ended up going in the trash can. It was so horribly embarrassing for him and he was teased until we graduated. There is no reason to limit a young child like that. And if something like that happened I would expect the school to call me. That is just a horrible embarrassment that a child shouldn't have to go through.

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My problem was not so much with the teacher as it was with the principle. She was a royal bitch that was in serious need of being put in her place. I went head to head with her 4 times last year. The last time was when I dropped my son off to school, and there were 20+ five year olds in the hall all by themselves. Another parent was there, because he was afraid to leave his daughter with no adults around. It was 45 minutes before I saw an adult. I had to stop kids from beating on each other, and finally make them all sit along the walls with their hands to themselves. When the principle came by, I stopped her and voiced my concern in a professional manner. She had the nerve to stand there and argue with me about what time I got there (admitting that the kids had at least been alone for 30 minutes), instead of giving a crap about them being alone with no supervision at all. It was picture day and the staff were taking pictures.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 3:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My son who is 16 now at the age of 5 was a little chunky and taller then the rest of the kids. His teacher was verbally abusive and mentally abusive towards my son. She would ridicule him in front of the class because he may not of known his abc's completely or may not of wrote his name the proper way. She would say things like "everyone else knows but Zachary" in front of his classmates. She would put him out in the hallway to eat his lunch by himself because another boy had the same lunchbox and my son took the other boys lunch box by accident and started eating the contents thinking that it was his, she made my son give up his lunch and the lunch he was eating and let him drink only a milk that day. He would cry when she would do this stuff and some boys would tease him and she would ignore the fact that now he was getting bullied and she stood by and watched. Cont....
    oldmomof4

Answer by oldmomof4 at 8:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Yes, I've had problems with teachers, which is why I homeschool now.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Cont....My husband and I had many talks with her every time she was very defensive. One time she had the nerve to tell us that "I'm trying to toughen him up, because here's this kid who is bigger then the rest of his classmates and he starts crying for no reason" mind you her class pet was very overweight and my son is tall and according to his Dr. was fine w/ weight. We finally got the state involved and they did a full investigation of this teacher. She had worked for 20 yrs prior to having my son and she was also head teacher of the elementary school. She had tenor and she felt that nobody could touch her. They put her on a probation due to the fact that I wasn't the only parent who complained. She was basically forced to retire a yr later. My son has suffered from this he still brings it up. He was such a happy, well liked, fun pre-schooler and she ruined him. He was affraid of every teacher after that.
    oldmomof4

Answer by oldmomof4 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 12, 2009