Teaching my son how to read

I have a 4 year old (soon to be 5 in 2 weeks) who LOVES to learn. He knows how to write his name, all his shapes, colors & letters. I am wondering if I should start him on phonics. I don't want to push him but he is frustrated he can't read. HE can sound things out but has problems with combinations of letters such as ch, sh etc. Does anyone know of a good phonics system or books that I can do just to introduce him to reading with no pressure? Something that lets him read at his own pace?

etropic1

Asked by etropic1 at 12:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• hooked on phonics it's a great program spendy but very well worth it, I use it with my four year old, we did it a few times and he has been spelling things out and does letter combinations.

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/on-sale?C1=9

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Eh, we started by teaching ours site words. Then write sentence with the sight words. Use the sight words to build other words or show them words spelled similarly. Then show them specific beginnings, endings (sh, th, ing, ed). Get Dr. Seuss books with words that build on same endings (Hop on Pop for example), etc. No program needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I wish i could give credit to whomever on here gave me the link to this site. I had asked a similar question over the summer to prepare my kids for kindergarten. www.starfall.com. Great site for getting kids interested in reading. Goes through each letter of the alphabet. They have a game where they have to pick the first letter of a word. Lots of songs and games.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• site words are NOT a good way to teach them. Phonics is the best way. My daughter learned phonics and reads better than children taught by site because she can sound out the longer words. There are some words that you have to teach by site but phonics is the best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I said START with sight words. She said he already can sound things out, so he obviously knows phonics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My niece and nephew both did the phonics program they both read above there grade level, my niece reads way over 120 words a minute and she is in 1 st grade, it's a very good program.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Leapfrog has some awesome movies!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Really - do we need to argue over which is a better learning method? ;) most school programs will involve a combination of sight words and phonics. It's good to master both.

If your son can sound out basic letter sounds and is looking to learn more, try those boxed phonics reader collections. The 2nd and 3rd volume sets will introduce letter blends. Make games out of letter blends. When my son's 1st grade teacher introduced "ow" as a letter blend she put band-aids on the back of all their hands with the letters written on them. ;) When they did "sh" she had them talk in a whisper during the exercise. Anything that help a child associate the sound to the letter combo he/she sees.

If you're introducing something like "silent E" there's an excellent "Step into Reading" title called "Here Comes Silent E."

Pick up some level 1 and phonics readers. Try books like "You read to me. I read to you" that allow you to read together
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• We did a combination of sight words and phonics. Kids need both to learn. My son was reading chapter books by the end of Kindergarten. Anyone who tells you they only need phonics or only need sight words have no clue. There are many homeschool cirriculums out there. Maybe find one for preschool or even a Kindergarten cirriculum. My sister uses Abeka for her kids they all read really well.
    Anonymous

• I recommend Starfall.com. It has both sight words and phonics. It also has simple books. My kids both loved it at 4 year old.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2009