How well should my 23month old talk

My Dd will be 2 on the 21st of this month and I am wondering how well she should be talking right about now. Most of the articles that I read say that she should be saying two ward sentences by now but she still only says a few words.She uses five or six words regularly but that's about it. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

BabyBush07

Asked by BabyBush07 at 1:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children talk at different ages. If you are concerned I would ask her doctor next time you go in but I wouldn't really worry about it. You could also try naming objects when she ask for them or just in play. So when you are handing her a cup then say cup but I wouldn't pressure her. I am sure she is just fine
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 1:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• What the previous poster said! Your daughter sounds like my second son. My firstborn wasn't really even talking yet. At almost four though he talks non stop! Every child is so different and so far, all three of mine have been behind "normal."
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Your 2 year old should talk as much as she is ready for. My oldest (18 now) was talking and walking at 8 mos. I dont wish that on anyone. My second started talking and walking at a year. My third (he was to fat to walk) took much longer and realy didnt care to talk much. About at 22 mos he STARTED talking (14 now. wont shut up lol). This is just like what comes in the future. Potty training. Give them the toos they need. The encouragment they need. And constant reinforcment of the tools and encouragment. On thier own they will utalize them at thier own pace. But s always discus these concerns with the doctor. Its important to watch all these. My youngest (9) is autistic. Development shortcomming can be a warning sign as well. You shouldnt worry but aways be awaire. I will tell you its so much fun to see the differances in how each one developes. All at thier own individual pace. None are the same.
    Roharn

Answer by Roharn at 5:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• That sounds reasonable. All kdis are different, so don't always go by those guidelines. Mine had to get tubes at two and started talking a lot more after that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Does he point? If a child is not talking and does not point for joint attention you should have them screened for autism. You can also do the M-CHAT yourself then discuss your findings with your child's doctor.

www.firstsigns.org/downloads/m-chat.PDF

There is never anything wrong with checking on a possible develpmental delay. If there is a delay, early intervention is the key. I've seen parents that "waited" even as suggested by their pediatrician and wish that they had not. Many children talk at different point, but it doesn't hurt to look into concerns --- you will feel better once it is ruled out.

LSnyder

Answer by LSnyder at 4:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Could it be possible that she may need tubes in her ears? could the really slow down her speech? I mean everytime she takes a bath and comes up from the water her hands automatically go to her ears.. I was kinda worried she might need them.. My gosh.. I hope not.
    BabyBush07

Answer by BabyBush07 at 1:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2009