crying it out.....

do you think it works? do you think it is abuse? why do some call it abuse?

firstimemomm603

Asked by firstimemomm603 at 1:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I THINK IF YOUR CHILD IS FINE NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM NO ITS NOT ABUSE....MY SON THROWS TERRIBLE FITS...AND I JUST LET HIM CRY IT OUT....BUT IF YOU DONT CHECK EVERY POSIBLE REASON WHY YOUR CHILD COULD BE CRYING THEN YES IF YOUR IGNORING THEM AND DONT CARE THEN YES....IT ALSO DEPENDS THE AGE OF YOUR CHILD...MY 3 YEAR OLD AND 5 YEAR OLD HAVE DIFFRENT PERSONALITIES AND STAGES THEY GO THROUGH...SO I THINK THE AWNSER IS YES AND NO.....
    MaMaDukeS321

Answer by MaMaDukeS321 at 1:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I think it works but there are limits to it. You can't expect a 2 month old to cry it out. And you can't leave the child in there for hours. I think that just like spanking you can take it too far and it can be abuse. but thats just my opinion
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 1:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I agree if you have explored every option why your child is having issues then no. It must be done with limits. Sometimes my 4 month old son just wants to be alone he will be fussy and we lay him in his crib and he stops and puts himself to sleep. I think I read that somewhere, to put the baby down when groggy or fussy so they can learn to self soothe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• CIO with an infant is wrong IMO they cry for a reason as infants and crying is their only way to communicate with you. when they are 1 1/2-2 and its nap time and you can see they are so tired they are fighting it hard then a few minutes of crying (5 minsmax) is not harmful. Personally I cant stand hearing a baby cry it just hurts me deep inside to listen to it all my mommy instincts come out and i have to comfort them. If a toddler is throwing a tantrum and you put them on time out i don't consider that CIO that is just a child being mad they got in trouble.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• yeah but crying it is ok though as long as nothing is wrong my son will sit for hours just screaming and saying dadadadadada and never shut up is that considered the same?
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 2:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I let my baby CIO and he's 5 mths old. He's also teething but I don't let him just cry when I know he's in pain. I've distinguished between his cries. I think that's important also knwoing your baby's sounds. CIO can be effective but needs to be used the right way. My baby only screams when he's in pain. There's a difference between screaming and being fussy. And yes babies always cry for a reason. Sometimes that reason is just that they want to be held and its hard to hold a baby all the time because then you won't get to anything else that needs to be done. When it comes to those times I think CIO is alright. But that's just me.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 2:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2009