My 4 year old daughter talks NON STOP! HELP!

My 4 year old is talking EXCESSIVLY...She will talk to herself and even talk to herself when others are around. She speaks about herself in 3rd person. It is getting old. She does not stop. The conversations she has are very random, she is very smart...she knows her alphabet, she can count at age level, she passes all the tests at age level. I had some tell me that it is s learning disability and others tell me that she is very high functioning. I am soo confused and TIRED. Is this normal or should I be concerned.

megbugsmom

Asked by megbugsmom at 2:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• she just likes to talk alot mom thats all i would think have you asked a doctor?
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 3:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Sometimes nonstop talking is a sign of Asperger's Syndrome. It was one of my son's early symptoms.

Talk to your doctor.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Sounds to me that you just have a talker on your hands. My daughter did the same, as still does at nearly 8 years old. I wouldn't assume this is something that is wrong with her, it's just who she is. Maybe she could use more interaction with children her age or she needs just bored. Try playing music so she's got something to listen to (besides her own voice).
    Carrielou13

Answer by Carrielou13 at 3:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Google Sensory Processing Disorder see if it fits. I recommend getting her a headphones and mp3 player. :) She will then sing all the time. But it sounds like she may be living in a fantasy world. Try getting her into sports or something physical. It helps to keep them grounded in the here and now. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• This is normal, and important in thier development. My three year old talks almost as much as her big sisters. LOL I know this sounds aweful but sometimes I will put on my headphones and clean. I stay in the same room as her and watch her closely but I get a little me music. When they are little they dont expect you to answer, they dont even care if you listen. This trick doesnt work for the older ones though, LOL. Once they reach ten they expect you to reply! LOL
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 8:20 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• LOL, my three year old is playing a game now, candyland. Talking to the characters, herself, hell even the gameboard! They just sort of think out loud. LOL Good luck and hang in there. One day you will miss it, I promise!

gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 8:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• OMG My daughters, I have three, talked nonstop when they were younger. I encouraged it, it is good for them. I see something blue, what do you think that is for? They all are popular, make straight As, happy healthy teens. My heart sank when I saw someone respond with asbergers. I work with kids also, they ALL talk excessively at four. Honestly.
    Good Luck honey :)
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 8:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My girls all talk a lot. My oldest was the worst when she was little. We used to joke that we knew when she finally fell asleep every night because it was finally quiet! Kids are kids, and they like to talk. I hate that some responses have tried to throw a label on it. I'll be honest, she sounds no different than any of my kids. Btw... my oldest is now in high school, very quiet, and has a 3.85 GPA and is in honors classes. I wouldn't be too quick to slap a label on her and try to quiet her just yet. Wait and see what happens as she gets into school. I like the music idea some people gave (both for her and for you :D). We always have music going, and the older girls have their iPods.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• When my daughter was little, around 4, I sat her down and told her when we can talk. I know this sounds weird! But I explained, we can talk in the bath, talk in the store, talk in line, talk in the playground, talk to rocks, birds, trees, you get the picture. I also told her that there are some times that we could not talk, that it wasn't the time for talking. Like when we are asleep, or when we are in the library, or when great-grandma is trying to get sleep in the hospital- I told her that sometimes I would let her know that we would be going into a place where we weren't going to be using our voices. And sometimes if I had a crazy, stressful day, I let her know, gently, that "right now" we aren't going to talk, we are going to have some quiet time and we would talk again later during all those fun times that we always talk. And then I would enjoy 20 minutes or so of blissful silence.
    iheartcats

Answer by iheartcats at 3:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• iheartcats-------I love that idea! I am going to try that with my daughter when she gets older. Today was one of her many talking days, she would talk and talk and follow me around, I didnt get a second break! I finally told her mommy is on a timeout and you can't talk to me. She said ok and 3 seconds later I hear....Mom, Mom, MOMMY!! :) Thats for the idea!
    jodim828

Answer by jodim828 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2009