Crying real tears?

Everything I've read says babies start producing 'real' tears at 8 months or older. My son has produced enough tears to roll down his cheeks when he cries since birth, though. Is there a different definition of 'real tears' when it comes to babies, or is this just more common than the literature would suggest? I'm just curious.

Beichan

Asked by Beichan at 3:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd also cried real tears (though she rarely cried that hard). IDK why they say that. The experts don't always know everything.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• my daughter wouldn't cry tears. i didn't see an actual tear until 6-7 months. she would cry, and turn red, but there weren't any tears. i've known a lot of babies that were the same. i haven't seen a newborn with real tears, but i'm no expert. maybe your baby is just special ;)
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 4:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• It's because of a clogged tear duct, both of my kids had them since birth and would cry real tears. You can gently rub under the eye (with a clean finger) from the inner corner out, and you can also put a drop of breast milk directly in the eye to clear it up. Sounds weird, but both of those were suggested to me by my pediatrician.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2009