heartburn?? tums??

So i've been getting a mixed reaction to antacids... are they bad to take when you are pregnant? I've had women who are mother's tell me that it's ok to take them in small doses then I've had other people tell me that i'm not supposed to take tums at all while being pregnant? I dont pop them like candy, just use them occasionally for the radiating heartburn... what is your advice on taking tums? Am I endangering my pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ive been told that its fine to take tums. just get the ones that are not extra strength. plus it helps get in some extra calcium which is a plus!!
    tinkerbell319

Answer by tinkerbell319 at 4:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Thank u... appreciate the advice... puts a little ease to my mind...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Im a mommy of three and was told by all three of my ob's that tums,rolaids, pepcid are ok and safe for the baby. As a matter of fact with this last pregnancy it was on the list of over the counter drugs that I can take if the need arrised.
    cditren

Answer by cditren at 4:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• i was told tums are ok but they sick me out so i can't take them and i have heart burn bad =(
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• OK LISTEN CLOSELY!!!! I am on pregnancy #4 and I get terrible heartburn. I always took alot of Tums (rolaids are the ones to stay away from) and I mean alot!! I would go thru a big bottle in a week :( I did think I was taking too many but I though it was my only option. I ended up getting a Kidney infection this past weeks and the cause: TUMS! Too many antacids can cause kidney stones/infections. I asked my midwife about it and she told me I could take Zantac!!!!!! Why did no one tell me this before?? I can't believe I suffered this long without knowing. I have been taking the Zantac since monday (one a day) and its been so great :) BTW if you only get heartburn once in awhile than the tums will be fine for you, but if it is more definately go with the Zantac!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 1:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2009