Do you cook for your pets?

I know I would hate to eat the same thing every day. Every now and then I like to cook healthy meals for my pets. People find this strange. But how else can I be sure they are getting an exciting meal and have the nutrients they need. A chicken breast with corn and rice and well the cat likes broccoli stewed in a natural juice such as apple. Hes the happiest. And a bit of fresh veggies and natuaral fresh ground penut butter for the hampster. They say I must be nuts to cook for them. I think not.

Roharn

Asked by Roharn at 4:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Dog mealtloaf recipe - easy

Yes - I cook some days or use a quality grain-free kibble on the other days:

SEE my doggie meatloaf recipe, here:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dog-Food-Canine-3799/2009/9/Transitional-Food.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 2:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Never. Most animals in this world eat the same thing every day. In fact, a lot of people in this world eat the same thing every day.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I don't cook for my cat but if I am making salmon or tuna for dinner she comes running and Meows, beggs and I offer her a little. Holiday turkey is also a treat for her. I put some torn up turkey in her bowl and she loves it!!!
    litninbug

Answer by litninbug at 6:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I would LOVE to cook for my dogs, but my dh won't have it. There are LOTS of people who either homecook for their dogs/cats or raw feed. I think it is great! You always know exactly what your pet is eating. I do occasionally give them fresh foods like carrots, ground beef (raw or cooked), raw eggs, salmon, pumpkin, chicken (raw or cooked), noodles. They love it! Check out the forums at www.dogster.com. They have a forum for homecooking and one for raw.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:13 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• No!, one of my dogs is extremely picky it took me forever to get her to eat her dry on a daily basis. I will give them samples of mine every so often but i stick to holistic dog food for the dogs.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Nope, my dog still gets excited about his bowl of dry food. My mil cooks for her dogs all the time (and our dog gets the treats her dogs won't eat!). I was there one day and she and my fil were having denver sandwiches for supper and there was steak cooking for the dogs. Cheap steak, but steak. No way is my dog getting steak while I have denvers. But he does get most of the scraps.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• That is so nice of you I am sure they appreciate it and yes some people might think you go alittle too far, but hey if you don't mind and you are doing something for yourself then what's the problem go for it.
    Your such a good mommy (for animals)
    Your animals sounds so sweet and loving :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• i have 10 kids to cook for and a husband, i have no time to cook for the dogs too lol
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 9:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I don't cook something specifically for them but if we are having "pet friendly" food I will make a little extra for them :)

When our dog had a stomach ache I made him chicken and rice for a few days to calm it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• No, but I share all my fruits and veggies with the guinea pigs- I always put part of my salad aside for them to eat later!

My mom used to cook for one of her dogs- the dog was elderly and had stomach problems so the vet recommended cooking ground beef and rice. After a week or so of that the dog decided she would now ONLY eat ground beef and rice so my mom just kept on making it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2009