WHAT CAN I DO?

WHEN MY 19MONTH OLD DONT GET HIS WAY HE WILL SCREAM REALLY REALLY LOUD HOW CAN I GET HIM TO STOP DOING THAT? HE ALSO THROWS THINGS WHEN I TELL HIM NO

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a tempter tantrum. I take the "just ignore the tantrum" approach - unless I know he's freaking out because he is super over tired, then I just put him to sleep. But if it's not from being tired, the best thing you can do is put him down some place safe and walk away. The more you talk to him and engage him during a tantrum the more you will prolong the behavior. He'll learn that the behavior to does not get him what he wants which is either the thing he is crying for OR attention from Mom - which ever he gets he wins.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• put him in time out for 5mins then when he gets out tell him y he was in time out and its not good to threw and scram to get ur way
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 6:51 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• ignore the behavior or he will know it works to get his way... better to start early. wait until he isn't screaming or hollering to approach him.
    RyleighsMoM3505

Answer by RyleighsMoM3505 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• He's really testing you to see if no means no. In a calm voice, tell him its not o.k. to throw things, hit, scream, whatever behavior he is exhibiting. He's trying to see if he can get you to change your mind and he is really trying to let you know he isn't o.k. with what is happening. He may be little but tell him you understand he is upset because... then tell him you need him to use his little voice and you need him to calm down. If you aren't getting any place because his behavior is out of control for the moment, move him to an environment where he is safe and let him go. Don't give in. Remain calm. When he has calmed down, go back, tell him you understand he was upset, revisit what you wanted him to do again and drop it. Try to stay away from the "don't" command. He doesn't know what is expected because he is so young. Be consistent. If it happens in a store. Leave the store until he calms down.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2009