What are good ways to boost your immune system?

I have a poor immune system, caused by Sjogren's Disease and want to strengthen it. I drink lots of Capri Sun Juice packs, mostly the Citrus flavor and I take a multi. What other sources of food are good ways to boost immunity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Health

• Washing your hands is the number one way to keep from becoming ill.

I was diagnosed with a genetic immune deficiency disease 21 years ago and have done a lot of reading about disease prevention. I get gamma globulin IV's that cost $20,000+ every 3 weeks to protect me.

I am not supposed to go to movies, church, crowded areas, or be around kids who go to school or day care. I shop at times when there won't be people around. I have to be careful about a lot of things.

There is evidence that high doses of vitamin C and D may help. Your diet should have at least 5 different veggies or fruits. Garlic is good. You want to stay away from high fructose corn syrup and things that have a lot of chemicals like juice drinks.

If you go to google and type in super foods you will find various lists. These are the foods you should be including in your diet.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:13 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Stop drinking the sugary capri suns, and drink water and orange juice. B-12 and vitamin C are great things to take!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Juice and garlic helps protect you from the flu. You could try eating lots of garlic or cooking with it. It's best when raw but still good when cooked.
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• orange juice and water eat plenty of veggies and fruits
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I would just focus on being healthy - i don't know about specific ways to "boost" your immune system. Drink orange juice, take vitamins, wash your hands a lot, eats lot of fruit and veggies and make sure your meat is cooked thoroughly, and keep hand sanitizer and anti-viral kleenex with you at all times and use them!
    DCchick06

Answer by DCchick06 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Capri sun is toxic! Read the ingredients and you will understand. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Probiotics can strenghten your immune system as much as 20%.
    Elderberry syrup is an effective anti-viral The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Vitamin C ( get some Emergen C powders from the drugstore or GNC. They don't have sugar in them but are packed with Vitamin C and you mix them with water or orange juice). Goldenseal is a good immune system booster and so is Vitamin D.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:38 AM on Nov. 13, 2009