What to do with my kids during the day?

I am looking for some ideas that I can do with my daughters during the day during the winter. They are getting antsy being suck in the house with not much to do except for playing with their toys. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Depending on where you live....you could still dress them warmly and go to the park, go to a petting zoo, an aquarium, a hands on science center, story time at your local library, rent a movie and make popcorn, go to your local craft store or dollar tree and buy some simple arts and crafts kits (plaster molds, ornaments, popsicle stick picture frames, snowflakes, glitter designs, etc.) to make seasonal decorations for your Christmas tree (if you celebrate Christmas), make home made birdfeeders using pine cones, peanut butter and birdseed, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My children love to cook. Well bake. They love adding the ingredients for a cake and frosting/decorating them. Cupcakes especially. You could make healthy snacks together like ants on a log (celery, pb and raisins).

They also like science experiment type activities.
    Volcanoes in soda bottles ( baking soda and vinegar).
    Clay (4c flour, 1c salt 1 1/2c. water bake 250 degrees for 2 1/2 hr)
    Dino eggs (place a small toy in a balloon, blow up balloon and cover with paper mache)
    Jello Aquariums (Nerds for rocks, gummy fish and blue jello)
    Goop (1c. water, 1 1/2 c. corn starch and food coloring)

Once I gave my son a disposable camera and let him take pictures of whatever he wanted. Then I took him to gets his pics developed. He was so excited and proud of himself. The pictures were awful but he loved them!

I aslo keep a big bag of rice on hand...fill a big bowl or casserole dish and give him measuring cups and spoons.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 8:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Preschool, play groups, do you have a community education program in your school district? Daycare a few days a week also benefit children and help them learn to interact with others and give them the social development they need to start school. Switch your toys up if this isn't an option. Think of a different theme for the week if you want a little variety. Mailbox Magazine is a great one to get to give you ideas. They also have a variety of activity books that can help you expand ideas. They also have a good activity book with 52 themes with songs, fingerplays, and activities for that age group as well.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• go to mommyandme.com and type in your zip and there ahould be a few groups that meet and do stuff.. take her to an indoor play ground or bounce yard..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• We bundle up and go for walks or play in the yard even in cold weather. As long as it's not dangerously cold or icy, we go out. When we're out we often collect things like sticks, rocks, acorns, pine cones, etc. We bring them home to sort and count then use them in craft projects or games. We bake. We make dinner together. We craft. We conduct our own science experiments - yup, volcanoes, dying white flowers green with food coloring in the water, etc. We make tents in the living room out of chairs and quilts. We hide under our tent and have a pretend sleep-out. We put marshmallows on straws and make a 'camp fire' out of tissue paper and flashlights. We go to the library for books or story and/or craft time. We go to parks with indoor nature centers or rec centers. We try playgroups and play dates. We turn the music up LOUD and dance like crazy. We play hide-and-seek in the house. We play spies or secret agents. ;) get creative
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• The internet has lots of learning activities for children. There is wonderful sites from Sesame Street, Noddin, Nick, and PBS Sprout with plenty of computer learning activities. Also there are free printable coloring pages, craft ideas and activities. Also are free printable alphabet, and numbers to print. There are plenty of outside activities if you bundle up- we spent some time picking up leaves and acorns for some craft projects. Even taking walks to spend some quality time together. Going to the library is something my son loves to do. Playing games like Chutes and Ladders. Building blocks. There are lots of things to do....Hope this may help.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2009