I wanna be Catholic...

For some reason I have had more than the normal share of people ask me about becoming Catholic this year. My response is you live in the ______parish boundaries, so you need to call Father_____at the parish.

I feel like I am brushing them off by just giving the name and phone number. At the same time I don't want to push them or come off as over bearing once they spark interest. Any advice on what to say? If they are under 16 (my daughters friends most the time) my response is have your parents call. How appropriate would it be if I talked to children/teenagers without their parents permission?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 8:59 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i wouldnt be comfy w/ you talking to my kids about converting. its one thing to share how u feel, but leave that to their parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Katty- I will just explain the process and give them a website to look further into it.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• For me, I don't try to convert people to Catholicism - that's the job of the Holy Spirit. I can explain the faith and the bible as I understand it. So answering questions about the Catholic faith, how you came to it - I don't see that as trying to talk kids into converting. If one of your daughter's friends asks you a question about Catholicism, I don't see the harm in answering it. And I think telling them to talk to their parents about it is a good response.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I don't think you are trying to convert people if they ask you first. If you feel like you are being cold, just giving them the connection, you should feel free to talk to them more. I would say something to the effect of, how nice that you are considering your spiritual life Catholicism fulfills me in ________ way. Then offer to answer in general questions for them with the understanding that they will get expert answers from the priest. I personally believe that 16yr olds (the age of my daughter as well) are old enough to make up their own mind on spiritual matters so I would be ok with giving them general info. but if you aren't than you could offer to answer any questions they have or tell them about your thoughts/feelings about your religion in a sit down with them & a parent.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You do NOT have to go to the "neighborhood" church. You can go to whatever Catholic Church you feel comfortable at. I live 2 blocks from the Catholic Church I grew up in, the one I went to school at and now go to a church across town because I am not comfotable with the neighborhood church. To put your family at ease, google the Catholic religion and the church you are considering attending, most if not all churches have websites. You can also contact the archidoiocese in your area for more info.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I think what you say is just fine. The only other thing you could do is to invite them to go to mass with you and go with them to speak to the priest. That might help if they are nervous.

It's not being pushy if they ask.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Answered at 3:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 by: martyrmomma
    I would NEVER choose to become a catholic, they are the whore of babylon that revelation speaks of, read your bible. Scarlet and purple she wears!
    _______________________________________________________
    ur sheilathemartyr with a different screen name. read ur bible like u were told last night and stop listening to the false teachings ur pastor is giving you. go with ur husband to a new church that teaches the truth. we are to be Christlike and nothing u say is in anyway Christ like.
    Anonymous

• I think what you say is just fine. The only other thing you could do is to invite them to go to mass with you and go with them to speak to the priest. That might help if they are nervous. It's not being pushy if they ask.
    I agree I was thinking about becoming catholic when I was a teenager, my best friend who now is my sil brought me to her church everybody was so nice I really enjoyed going there. Although I don't follow the catholic religion now, I think they are really nice people and the one thing that would have brought me to their faith would have been the people at her church
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• anon3pm-nobodyasked you to become Catholic! please, get a grip.
    Anonymous

• I wanna be millionare
    Icpjuggalette

Answer by Icpjuggalette at 4:14 AM on Nov. 16, 2009