I don't know if it's stress or PPD, but I am about ready to lose it...

I have an almost 6 week old baby and an 8 year old son. I also live with a guy who is generally great. I am also in college full time and the semester is winding down (ends December 7th) so work seems to be piling up around me. My boyfriend is working nights this week and next week so I am home alone with the kids at night and I just can't seem to get anything done. The baby is going through that stage where he gets fussy in the evening and I hold him a lot so he doesn't like to be put down (my fault maybe, but I love holding him). I don't know if I am under too much stress or if I am struggling with postpartum depression, but I feel like I am about ready to lose it. I get to the point where I don't want to take care of the baby (I do of course, and do so lovingly, but I don't have any real desire to tend to him), I have no energy, I am tired and just want to eat everything in the house. Continued....

kitten_shuga

Asked by kitten_shuga at 9:15 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I think it is a combo of both.. Being overwhelmed,stressed out, and all your hormons still going crazy. I know how you feel in a sense. I was the same way after having my lil girl. Though my husband was very helpful with everything. But if I were you I would just not worry weather the dishes were done, the house is clean, the laundry is put away. All though it is hard to see messes everywhere thru your home when its always clean I just wouldnt worry about it for it now. You cant do everything, your only one person and if your husband isnt willing to help then only do things that ABSOLUTLY need to be done and forget about the rest. Just focus on you and the kids. Maybe your husband will get tired of wearing dirty cloths and seeing messes everywhere and decided to finally grow up a lil and help out where its needed. Sounds like you need some rest. When baby is sleeping you sleep, forget about the house work and nap!
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 9:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I have tried really hard to explain this to my boyfriend, and he is sympathetic while we talk, and will give me some extra hugs for a couple hours, but then everything goes back to how it was before. I have explained to him a million times that I need help with the house, yet it seems like he never does anything. The most I have seen him do this week was wash a couple pairs of my older sons jeans and pick up a few dishes (his dishes) off the coffee table. I have to specifically ask him to do anything with the baby other than hold him. My kitchen is trashed, there is laundry all over the laundry room (which I JUST cleaned). I just want to pull all my hair out! I spent all evening crying last night, the baby and I cried together. I don't know how to make him help, I don't know how to make him understand what I am going through. I need some help, I ask for it, yet it's still not there, what do I do?!?!?
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My mother in law (that I have never met) is coming to visit for Thanksgiving, otherwise, I would probably not care nearly as much about the house... It needs to be at least livable though...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I got'cha and do understand that. Im the type that I get more overwhelmed when the house is even a lil mess let alone a big mess. Ya know it may just piss your husband off but maybe just keep being persistent about him helping you with household chorse and helping with the baby. You shouldnt have to ride his ass because after all he is a growin man and he is the father to your children so it should only be naturally right for him to want to help you with things weather hes working or not. Just keep at him. Keep explaining your reasoning and venting all the things that are overwhelming you and how helpful it would be if he were to help you and how you would be sooooo much more stress free with his help. Tell him that your not "nagging" him or "bitching" you just need some really appreciated help.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 10:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2009